1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pros and cons of Dielectric grease for hv pack vehicles living in wet areas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ozmatt, Jan 1, 2021.

1. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just a chinwag thread about pros and cons of greasing hv packs for vehicles in wet areas and coastal towns .. I know addressing the water in cabin is #1 but would it hurt to grease the pack? I have seen more than my share of nasty corroded gen2 packs and the problem is only getting worse as the cars age, I'm nearly at a stage where I don't even want to touch cars that have come from coastal areas..

Last time I asked this question (about 5 years ago) most agreed it's best to just leave the pack clean and dry but most that commented back then lived in hot dry areas and corrosion was just not an issue for them, for me nearly every gen2 pack I look at these days is green and nasty I'm thinking it's maybe time to start using electric grease on bus bars and voltage sensing connectors as prevention if it's not going to actually hurt anything.

Please chime in with pros and cons :)

Cheers

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've found it's easier and quicker to just replace that harness(wire frame #2) with a new one. About $50 from Toyota and it eliminates all the problems associated with the corrosion, tab cracks and plug issues. The copper busbars from the other side of the battery just get dipped in muriatic acid and presto, they're clean as a whistle.

I haven't really found any spray-on/rub on chemicals that I'm happy with for using on a Gen2 battery.

3. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    hi TMR thanks for chiming in

I have a couple spare harness and hv ecu in my hoards that's not a problem mate, its just keeping them nice once they are in service that's on my mind :)

the problem with grease and chemicals is they are a but messy which makes it a bit annoying the next time you have to go back inside the pack! im starting to think it might be better to clean a little mess than deal with complete loss of ecu and harness

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But, I should add, the batteries I've pulled apart that had nickel plated busbars have been significantly more free of corrosion than the standard copper bars. I doubt they have the same years of service, but they are pretty clean overall. From what I've seen, it helps keep the sensing tabs cleaner also. Again, I don't use them myself, because I always just install new harnesses to make sure I have no issues with a 3 year warranty.

Are you seeing massive corrosion in just a couple years?

ozmatt likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Redline Gear Lube.

ozmatt likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This might be nuts: plastic-dip?

ozmatt likes this.
  7. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for replies all ..

Only seeing massive corrosion on the ecu connector after a couple years If the car is getting wet inside the cabin, or lives near the coast, bus bars are near always nasty on prius specially if the modules are getting past about 12 years old, I very rarely if ever see a clean pack come out of a gen2 prius around here.

Also if a pack has been previously rebuilt and the copper bus bars cleaned up the corrosion loves to get all over the fresh raw copper nearly instantly, like in a couple months! the only way to fix that would be nickel or electro plating I guess

50 series camry packs seem to have way less of a problem with corrosion they are mostly spotless

40 series camry packs can be clean too but test results on the modules are nearly always very disappointing

Redline gear oil hey, cheers i will check it out..

Mendel the plastic dip idea sounds good and would be pretty and perhaps combat the issue but potentially cause resistance as it's more than likely non conducting and would act as an insulator

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes I'm thinking it would be applied surgically, say with a small paint brush, after assembly and torque of nuts. Just to seal the outside. Not sure if Plasti-Dip is available for you? It goes on like paint, cures to a plastic skin, and can be peeled off.

Again, may be nuts...

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not gear oil gear grease Redline CV-2.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its really great for gun lube been using it on my guns for years and I see alot of youtube old timers are coming around to red moly in the guns too.
    Google it for reviews. Its good stuff I see some are complaining about its smell its not bad at all not as bad as gear lube.

11. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cheers I still haven't decided if it's worth the mess, or if it will even work to combat this issue..

Leaning towards leaving the battery clean and dry and start using nickel plated bars, maybe just a little spray of water dispersant on the hv ecu connector for an experiment (once I confirm it's definitely not conductive)

Its time consuming but really helps to thoroughly clean all rear interior and the floor pan of debris.. of course seal hatch at roof if it leaks then when it all goes back together throw a couple of those moisture trap things with the beads in them that you can buy at $2 stores near the battery at the ecu end, and replace as necessary

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know the Redline is non conductive as its in all 3 ECU connectors in my car..

ozmatt likes this.
  13. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cheers ed, if I decide to use grease I will check out the redline

Matt

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dielectric grease is not conductive either.
    It is NOT intended for use on the conducting surfaces......but to be applied OUTSIDE the actual connection to keep out contaminants.
    Same for Redline and most other greases.

Note from a motorcycle forum:
    If you put dielectric grease on the threads of spark plugs instead of "anti-seize" compound, that can cause some really strange problems.
    Like feeling the spark in the handle bars. :eek: