1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pros and Cons of Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bonnie2011, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Bonnie2011

Bonnie2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello -

Here goes my first post to this site. My big big question is whether to purchase a Toyota Platinum extended warranty plan. I will not do third party coverage.
    ------------------------------------------------------

I may be putting A LOT of mileage on this car over the next five years. Is a Toyota extended warranty plan worth the cost?

Car insurance covers the windowpane, the Hybrid battery has its own coverage, the extended warranty would not cover nuts and bolts, and the approximately $2,000 spent on the warranty could be used instead to cover any necessary repairs. Still, I am leaning towards getting coverage.

I'd like to know what kind of repair issues others have had with any Priuses? Who has an extended warranty and why? Perhaps this is not the right chat forum - given its car owners may all be first-time Prius owners!

Any info appreciated.

Bonnie

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Bonnie2011

Bonnie2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I neglected to say I am only looking at 125,000 mile warranties. The least expensive I have seen are ... $1585 for 7 years and 1880 for 8 years.
    - Bonnie

(no profound sig tags re: life/time/wisdom/death)

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The extended warranty offered on this site by TOG (his username) is a geniune Toyota Platinum Warranty, and it's fairly priced. Now having said that, TOG will sell you this warranty at any time prior to the factory bumper to bumper warranty expiring, i.e. before 3 years or 36K miles which ever comes first. So you have time to drive it, see if you like it and plan on keeping it past the factory warranty period prior to investing in an extended warranty.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bleung

Bleung New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All, this is my first time to the site. We just purchased a Prius Three, 2011 with Nav and Moonroof :)

I have been reading for a few hours and what I can't get a clear indication on is whether the extended is really worth the expense since the Prius comes with a fairly robust warrant as it is.

Is there a website that clearly identifies what the extended covers which the standard does not aside from duration?