1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pros/cons 2010 redesign vs. 2009?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GreenPri2009, May 26, 2009.

1. GreenPri2009

GreenPri2009 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told, it would be better to buy the 2009 since the 2010 is a new engine and the first year for a newly design vehicle is always iffy.

Can I hear pros or cons to that?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in any new product, its possible that growing pains maybe present. so its up to you as to the risk you want to take but i get the impression that if you do get one that say needs "adjustments" you would be unhappy? i guess i would if the adjustments did not fix the problem.

but to be honest with ya, that occurs in nearly EVERY product that has any level of complication or software involved. i guess you could be like people who waited until the 3G i-phone got all its fixes in place and then buy. but to not buy new and automatically accept something older is something completely different and not understandable to me at all.

now, if money is an issue, i m sure a 2009 will probably be a better price, but a better car??? no way

3. bear15

bear15 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We tested our first 2010 Prius III today. We think it has much potential for the average USA family. We liked the auto up & down on all windows, the larger side windows, smart key on all models, and the price ($22k for the base).

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For starters, who told you to buy 2009 instead of a 2010?

If it was a dealer, it only means that (s)he has more 2009s than 2010s to sell right now. Standard sales FUD tactic.

If it was a Toyota owner or independent mechanic, I give it more weight. But in this forum, there seems to be many folks who bought the previous Prius redesign in its first year, without regret. Whatever teething problems it had did not outweigh the improvements.

Decades ago, new American-label models frequently had major problems, so those who waited usually got better cars. But that is less true now, and even less true of Japanese-label models, including those built in America. I'm using this new Prius to replace an 1986 Honda, which was also the first year of a major redesign, and which I have absolutely no regrets buying. Toyota fans of that era were just as happy with their cars as we Honda fans were of ours.

While it is always possible for nasty first-year problems to crop up, recent experience suggests that the risk is so low that it shouldn't be a determining factor.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The engine is not new, been in use for a couple of years in Japan and Europe. Only thing new is the change to the Atkinson cycle, nothing to worry about, and the use of cooled EGR. Don't let the engine sway your decision.

Wayne

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010 was designed to address many of the issues raised with the earlier models. It's bigger, faster, and gets better mileage. It probably handles better, too. And the gadgets are even cooler. I don't see it as being inferior in any way.

And no, darn it, I'm not being paid to say this. Not even with a good offer on a new one.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention that the engine was in the new 2008 Scion xD and then the 2009 Corolla/Matrix got it last Feb.. so yeah, it's been around for a while now.

8. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello GP:

Don't second guess yourself.....your new 2009 is a fine car. I know because I also bought a 2009 just a couple of months ago, and I love it.

There are many threads here already on the forums, where people asked that and other question before laying down their cash for a new Prius. I would encourage you to look at the many threads in the 2010 Prius forum to see what's already been written in this regard.

I had many reasons for buying a 2009 instead of waiting for the 2010s. Not to take anything away from the 2010, because it is certainly is an incredible vehicle. But there were things that I liked better about getting the 2009 at this time. And even some features of the 2009 that I prefer over the 2010.

I know that I won't getting quite the fuel efficiency that the 2010 is capable of. But I'm still getting good enough mileage to be able to keep me thankful when gasoline eventually makes it back to $4 a gallon.

Best wishes,

1 person likes this.
  9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to get an excellent price on an in-stock 2009. But if you're happy with the price I'm confident that you'll like either one.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem with the 2009 was the seats and ergonomics between myself, and the windshield view. I'm 6ft tall. Plus I was a little nervous about the gas bladder, I live in Oregon so am not allowed to pump my own gas. So I decided to wait on the 2010, adjustable and reportedly more comfortable seats and no gas bladder. Plus the many other improvements.

Given the great deals on the proven 2009 model, I would of bought one in an instant if I had felt more comfortable in the seat and with the whole ergonomics of the front drivers position. Infact I was very disappointed that the generation 2 just didn't work for me.

Is there risk in adopting a 1st year with significant redesign? Sure. For me, I just have to try it out. I'm going to wait a while, I don't feel I need to be on the cresting wave of "I'm Firsters" but neither can I afford to wait a year or two just to see how the redesign does. I'm relatively confident given that The Prius has become such an Icon to Toyota that they were probably pretty careful with the redesign. I'll be as patient as I can and keep my ears and eyes open. It's a little different situation for me, as I just decided that regrettably the 2nd generation just wasn't for me, unless I wanted to commit to significant aftermarket change. Really though, I love the 2nd Generation Prius no problem with that vehicle for most people.

11. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm waiting for the 2011. There will be a lot of experience by then with the new Prius. Plus, my 2005 will be paid off!