1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prospective Buyer: 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brandon_92, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Brandon_92

Brandon_92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone, I have been looking into purchasing a Prius lately. I am a college kid on a budget, so I am looking at getting a generation II prius. I have found a 2004 Prius with 152,000 miles one it. The seller is asking $8,000 (much too high in my opinion) but said he is willing to negotiate. Due to the high mileage of the car, I am worried about the battery pack in it needing to be replaced, which could put it out of my price range. Is it wise to buy a prius with this many miles, or should I pony up to get one closer to 100,000 miles? Also, what do you think would be a fair price for the 2004 prius?

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Probably not a good idea as a student on a budget as significant costly repairs may crop up anytime. Maybe better to go with something like a Corolla, Yaris, Echo, or Civic.

JMD likes this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree. Civic is a solid car and repairs are reasonable

4. Brandon_92

Brandon_92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While a civic would be nice, I am more drawn to the prius because it has more room (I am 6' 5" and often haul friends and cargo) and superior fuel economy. I would be switching from a 2006 Dodge Charger, which has a lot of room.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Too many miles in my opinion. You're worried about the battery. I would be worried about suspension, wheel bearing, radiators, air conditioning systems, etc. Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road. But when they do break, they are pricey to repair.

JMD likes this.
  6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car could be anywhere between 9 to 10 years old (what is the mfg date on the driver's door jamb?).

If it's closer to 10 years, I wouldn't offer more the $6,000. If that's too low for the seller, let him keep it.

The traction battery may last a few more years, or a few more weeks. There's no foolproof way of knowing when it will fail. But it will eventually. Do you have an extra one or two G's lying around if it does?

What is most amount you can spend - be honest.

I concur with the majority opinion here. A Matrix, Vibe. Yaris hatchback, or Fit are more suitable choices for you. Small sedans might not suit you. I had a 2001 Prism sedan and I hated it because the interior room was inadequate. I'm 6' 5" too.

7. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

You can get seat rail extensions for most cars for added leg room. If the Prius is your choice then the lower the miles the less risk in general, but nothing is etched in stone. Having a buffer savings for possible repairs and being able to DIY lowers the risk. I would look for a private sale.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you buy it get a good price, but have 2-3 grand in savings earmarked for possible repairs.

9. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which region do you live in? Search Craigslist in your area for hybrid battery repair. In the Tampa area there are several mechanics that rebuild batteries for $500. Repairs are only expensive if you have them done at the Toyota dealership. These cars are pretty bulletproof even with 150-200k miles on them. If something does break research on here first and you will find most repairs can be done yourself if you can follow directions, use a 10mm socket and a Philips screwdriver.