1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prospective Prius buyer, cold weather info needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mooney, Mar 5, 2007.

1. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks, I just test drove the Prius this past weekend and I have to say, what a damn cool car.

I'm hooked, I just had a quick question about colder temps. I live just outside of Boston and don't have a garage. So the Prius will sit in the driveway in the worst Boston weather has to throw at it. At times that's single digit weather.

I used to own a Jetta TDI (so I'm no stranger to the love of high mileage!!!) and it was definitely impacted by the colder temps.

What can I expect (if anything bad) with regard to a fully outdoor cold weather Prius?

I've been reading the forum like crazy over the past week, I think I'm gonna like it here. :D

2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Well. Did you see the block grill thread?

It seems to work great for cold weather.

Basically.... the Prius already running cooler than regular car. So blocking the grill will keep cold air out from cooling the engine and keeping the heat under the hood.

Some say they are getting 40ish mpg from their mid-30 mpg after doing it.

3. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Mar 5 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]400347[/snapback]</div>
    I did see that thread, looks like a definite must. I was more asking about a Prius sitting outside all night in single to sub-zero temps. Any issues associated with that?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 5 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]400356[/snapback]</div>
    Guess it depends upon what you mean by issues. The cold soak of the battery and ICE will definately have a negative impact on Fuel Economy. This will be particularly bad if your trips are short and/or you have many stops in the first part of your commute. Worst case scenario on those very cold nights is probably going to be FE in the upper 30s to low 40s.

5. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 5 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]400361[/snapback]</div>
    Well, my commute is about 22 miles. The first 8-10 minutes of that is stop and go to get to the highway. From there's it's about 20 minutes of speed limit (yay reverse commute) highway driving until I get to the office.

What I was comparing it to was the Jetta TDI, where if you let a diesel sit out in sub-zero weather, there's a chance your fuel might gel. Now you're dead until you can find a garage to push it into. I was asking if there was any known effect where the Prius might have issues sitting out at night. So it sounds as though I'll take a FE hit, but not a showstopping issue like the TDI.

Thanks!

6. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 5 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]400367[/snapback]</div>

our Prius is in a 3-sided shed, offering protection from the weather only to the extent that the windshield is usually not sno-covered. Here near Lake Michigan we rarely see temperatures below 10-15 - but often in that range. A recent cold snap to below zero had no adverse effect on our Prius, with the exception of reduced fuel economy. I just found the 'blocked grill' thread a couple weeks ago and I think it has helped at least 10%.

Jim

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no it shouldn't be an issue. Also, when you push POWER on the dashboard, you're not really starting the engine (although at those temperatures, the engine will fire up immediately anyway) but rather starting up the hybrid system.

This means no more cold cranking starts that can be hard on the engine, spark plugs and ignition.

The bladder in the Prius' fuel tank will minimise (or even prevent?) any vapour from forming inside the tank which is good for the environment as it isn't released when you open the gas cap but it's also good in a sense that you burn off every drop of fuel that you bought.

The coolant thermos will circulate to help warm up the engine a bit when you start off to reduce the impact of the cold weather.

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 5 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]400328[/snapback]</div>
    As others have already said, the worst you will likely face is reduced fuel economy - possibly drastic reduction - depending on your heater usage and length of commute. In colder weather, the engine (ICE) will run more frequently, so if you have stop & go at the beginning of your drive, you will likely see more of a mileage hit than if you can get on the highway sooner.

As for startups, your odds against fuel line freezing are about as good as you will get with any car, with the bladder helping out. Mechanically, the hybrid system is easier on cold starts than a conventional car. If you have not already been there, John1701a (a regular member around here) has a wealth of Prius information on his site... B)

In terms of temperatures, I don't think your single digits are anything to be concerned about, as there are some members on here much further north (and colder) than you who have no problems at all.

One recommendation is to strongly consider getting winter tires, as the full-time traction control may be a bit of a headache in the snow using the crappy all-season Goodyear Integrities that come with the car. ;)

Good luck and hope you get the car!

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 5 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]400328[/snapback]</div>
    I had my Prii out all winter in the driveway 30 miles north of Gotham - no trouble. You will experience a drop in fuel efficiency of about 15-20% when it gets real cold (near zero) --- but dont worry global warming is on the way :D

It is a great ride.

10. pebi

pebi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 5 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]400328[/snapback]</div>
    Well as all others allready have said: Not really. I have used mine after standing outside in
    -30 C. as coldest and normaly more like -10 C. Not problem. The ICE keeps on going, so it works like a "normal" car untill the motor gets warm. thats it really. So how bad is it, you get a "normal" car for a few km's in the morning? (I guess it would be for a few miles for you ;) )

/Per

11. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks folks, I really appreciate all the quick replies! I can't wait to get one of my own...

12. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've parked outside through two Alaska winters now and mine is running like a champ. I turn on the block heater a few hours before work and it helps ensure I don't get any weird noises from the engine, as well as providing heat sooner after I depart.

Snow tires are a must. Block heater is easy to install and it really helps when it's rediculously cold out.

13. draker

draker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Living west of you in the Amherst area. I too park my car outside. I agree with what has been said. Fuel efficiency will be effected (parking inside or not). I am getting about 46 mpg this winter, but as you know it has been mild (although recent temps don't feel such).

I would add that good snow tires are very important.

Welcome aboard.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Moony,
    Check the >>Current Mileage<< link in my signature. That's as real-world warm and cold temp records as I can get.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just came back to Northern Michigan after a week in Southern Florida. My Prius sat outside at the airport in cold, snowy weather. When we landed tonight, it was 11 degrees F with lots of wind and snow. I ran out in my sandals and fleece sweater and grabbed the hatch handle. The Smart Key System gave a little beep and opened right up. I tossed in my bags. It was too cold to dust off any snow, so I ran around and climbed in and pressed the START button and she fired up without any complaint. The wipers took care of most of the snow, and the backup camera let me see where I was going. I backed out through a foot or so of snow. The Prius is a good cold weather car.

Tom

16. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in CT and park outside in the same winter conditions. My worst tank (highs in the high teens/low 20s, lows near zero, and about 60 miles through a snow storm with snow tires mounted) was about 46mpg on the MFD so probably 44mpg in reality. That's a 70/30 mix of suburban/freeway driving and a commute that's about 18 miles each way. Of course, I am pretty careful about the way I drive.

Cold weather hurts the car's ability to shut down the engine and run on the battery, but it does just fine.

17. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok folks, you've sold me on it. I'm off tonight to see what I can get for my car and see what the dealer will give me for a 2007 with Package 2 or 3.

Wish me luck! B)

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A