1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prospective Prius Buyer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burkey, Apr 21, 2005.

1. burkey

burkey New Member

Hi all

I live in the country in Western Australia, and the price of fuel is going though the roof and considering a prius but a bit scared of the unknown. Could some of you answer some of my questions so I can make a better judgement on buying a prius thanks.

1. Overall would you class this car as a good sound car, do they have any machanical faults to be aware of buying a second hand one.
    2. What is the life of the motor and battery, most cars with four cylinders motors are past it once you start get close to 200,000 KMs or say 130,000 miles,the computer systems and electronics what are they like.

3 Can you get them serviced or looked at by a Toyota dealer that is not a authorised prius dealer. I looked at a 2002 prius at a toyota dealer the other day they said for regular sevices, would be possible as their only service the motor and not the electrics, but for any electrical work must be a prius dealer. Are the service costs similar to other toyota cars.

4What is their resale like.

Hope you guys can help

Cheers
    Burkey

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I would consider this a reliable car. They have been making them since 1997 and worked out all the kinks. They are just improving the design now. I have heard of a few problems here and there but that is to be expected (not systemic problems). I replaced our F250 truck and Honda Civic with 2 Prius for the wife and I.

2. I have seen people with the older 2001 models with upwards of 200k+ miles on them and no problems. The battery is warrantied for 10 yrs or 150k miles. I think cars are lasting longer now days. My dad's Honda Civic is on 400k miles. I would hope Toyota has the same quality motor (especially since it is not running all the time).

The computer is a menu driven GUI with large buttons for use while on the road. Most controls are on the steering wheel. You should really go look at one on a lot to see if you like it. Some like it some hate it but live with it.

3. Yes they can be serviced by yourself, non toyota dealer, or toyota dealer. Just make sure you read the book and reiterate any special needs (oil type etc to the techs if not toyota). I would only let Toyota touch the hybrid system.

4. Currently, depending where you are the resell can be from 75% to 115% of your original purchase cost.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

By service, I think he was referring to repairs.
    You'd have to check in your country. From what Rich57 has told us, it used to be only certain dealers got certified to sell and service Prius, but that has changed here. Now all dealers has to have at least one Prius tech.

Some repairs, and even some less frequent maintenance does need the Toyota Scan Tool in order to operate motors and relays and do some calibrations, but in some circumstances, you might be able to get the pump motors operated manually. Some examples are the brake hydraulic pump and solonoids, and the coolant pumps.