1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prospective Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David G, Feb 15, 2018.

1. David G

David G New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    im interested in joining the Prius family and was wondering if you all could let me know if I’m getting a good deal, what to check/do before and after purchasing. I’m looking to buy a 2011 Prius 1 with 136,000 miles for $6900. The salesman said he would go down to $6500. Do you think this would be a smart purchase?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    FL is not a CARB state, so the battery warranty is over, if that is a concern. 8 years / 100,000 miles in US non CARB states.
    Gen 3 was introduced in 2010, so 'new model' defects should be addressed by 2011.
    Trim level 1 was for fleet use, not sold via dealers. This may imply fewer children and pets in the car. To be sure it is 1, the rear seat folds as one piece.

The Prius in general is a very reliable car, but you are not buying a general, just one example. I would make sure I had enough cash reserves to handle a rare but expense repair.
    1) a new transaxle is about $5000, used will be cheaper. To minimize issues change the ATF WS every 90,000 miles
    2) a new inverter is about $4000, sometimes an expert can replace individual parts. To minimize issues never jump start another car.
    3) a new HV Battery is around $3500, used will be cheaper. To minimize issues try to keep it cool, use your A/C. Avoid long steep hills when hot. This part should be easy in FL.

I hope some of this helps you with your decision. (Welcome to PriusChat!)

3. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    David, I cannot answer if it's a smart purchase, but I can say that it is priced under blue book value for a Prius in your area listed here. You can determine the condition of the interior and exterior. You also have good insight from Jimbo.

At 136k miles, the maintenance habits of the previous owner will impact the longevity. See if you can check what repairs and maintenance were done- if you're lucky, it was maintained at a Toyota dealer and can be accessed via the website. The dealer should have shown you the carfax report. If so, how did it look?