1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Protection plans for used Priuses?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tvactor, Jul 22, 2008.

1. tvactor

tvactor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm very new here, so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been unable to find it, if it has. :confused:

Because dealers and private sellers are out of control with their gouging right now, I'm thinking of buying a "salvage title" Prius from a guy that comes highly recommended from people I trust. His "salvage title" Priuses are usually cars that were stolen and recovered after the insurance company had paid them out as total losses. He makes whatever repairs are necessary (if any at all) and sells them at "salvage title" prices...with his own 1-year, 15K mile warranty.

My question...is it possible to obtain any sort of mechanical protection plan for a used Prius that hasn't been purchased at a Toyota dealership?

Again, thanks for your patience if this has been covered elsewhere.

Steve

2. tvactor

tvactor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Steve,

I don't think you'll find anyone willing to offer a warranty on a salvage vehicle. That would make no business sense for the insurance carrier, which has no control over how well the salvage vehicle was repaired.

Please do not underestimate the complexity of the Prius and the impact that an accident can have on its complex electronics. Even if the vehicle was just stripped of expensive components during a theft (and not in an accident), since the "guy" doing the salvage repairs presumably is motivated to make a profit, and has to sell the repaired vehicle at substantially below market value due to the salvage title, how likely is it that he will take shortcuts like installing used airbags (or no airbags), etc.

Correct repair practice is to use only new SRS components (since the vehicle's passengers are entrusting their lives to the proper functioning of the car's safety equipment.)

Good luck with your decision.

4. Prius77094

Prius77094 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would not go that route. 3rd party warranties, for the most part, are a rip-off. They just won't cover stuff that absolutely needs to be covered. A vehicle such as the Prius is too advanced to take chances with a salvage. I know you think it's a gamble, but some bets you just need to walk away from and not look back. To take the bet and pay out of pocket expenses to fix the Prius, is something you would probably never forgive yourself for. The Prius is an awesome car in so many respects, it's worth making payments to Carmax or the like to own one.
    Good luck in your decision.

5. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i disagree with the "3rd party warranty" statement. i dont know how it would apply to the prius in particular, but we have had continental warranty on both our lesabre and the silverado that we sold in order to buy the prius. they both had an issue or 2 that needed fixing and we had no problems at all with the coverage.

6. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the "3rd party" in question is the seller (body shop?) of the salvage title Prius.
    I doubt that Continental or any other provider would insure a salvage vehicle.