1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Protective Plastic underneath car

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bostonpriusowner, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bostonpriusowner

Bostonpriusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was hoping someone who does not stand to profit from this question could enlighten me on the following subject: Do I need to replace any portion of the plastic sheeting that protects the underside of the car?
    I recently had the oil changed and the person who drained the oil did not properly close the plastic hatch that hides the drain plug for the oil. I have gotten mixed responses from my local Toyota dealer. I would need to replace the entire plastic piece, not just the piece that broke off, if need be. Does anyone know how much of a necessity this is? I appreciate all relevant insight.

Thanks,

Hollis

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    do you have a prius C? you posted in the incorrect forum area if so.. I was like.. the car JUST came out.. who would have changed the oil in one already?!

anyway, the plastic underneath the car not only serves as protection, it also is apart of the aerodynamics of the vehicle. it'll reduce your mileage without it. granted not by much to where a normal person would even notice... so it's up to you whether or not you care enough.

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Insist the dealer change it under warranty. My 2010 suffered the same problem, and the dealer replaced it.

4. Brerkev

Brerkev New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This happened to me on my 2010. I was told by the service manager (at the Toyota Dealership) that it would be up to me, but that they had seen this quite a bit. And he said if it was his car, he wouldn't replace it. I have not seen a drop in MPG by not replacing it.

5. Kawiski

Kawiski New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much is the plastic piece?

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well over 200 i think.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look for a used one, it going on the bottom of the car.

8. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

We have several cars here that the owner removed that hatch' so oil changes easy; theor removal appears to have no real affect on the mpg or top speed. It may, but I supect its not easy to measure.