1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Proterra's electric bus can travel 350 miles before recharging

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by prius_noob, Sep 14, 2016.

1. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Proterra's electric bus can travel 350 miles before recharging

Whilst not super impressive given the fact that they have whooping great big batteries (But also more weight to pull too), buses often only do travel locally, and have dedicated stations for them to charge at, at night time. It could of course mean that well the buses can run on all electric in the day, and just charge in their bus stations overnight

Though I reckon fare prices won't really go down, because well it does cost double the price of ordinary diesel powered buses, even if the cost of electricity is a heck of a lot cheaper than diesel. I can however see cities like London, New York, LA and some Chinese cities potentially buying something like this in the future. London...maybe not so much yet, because they have only fairly recently bought the Routemaster hybrid buses at a cost of £285,000 each (or say $400,000) to reduce emissions

I imagine the Chinese cities will be interested in order to help reduce their smog issue. Though that would only happen if Proterra decides to actually market this to the Chinese in the first place.

Proterra's electric bus can travel 350 miles before recharging

2. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the UK, it seems this would be more than sufficient, seeing as though even if buses ran 365 days a year, then that'd be really quite good, as they'd only lose about 1/3 of their charge each day in the UK

How many miles does an average London bus drive every year? - Quora

According to that, London buses drive 97.53424657534247 miles per day

In the USA, I guess it's probably near 300 miles a day, owing to your huge landmass.

In other news, here's a damning report on the London routemasters from newstatesman

The single object that sums up Boris Johnson's disastrous mayoralty

#3 prius_noob, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016