1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proximity Sensors?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mary Lou In Ohio, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mary Lou In Ohio

Mary Lou In Ohio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of replacing my 2005 Prius with a new 2010. A feature that I would like to have but doesn't seem to be on this car are proximity sensors. Does anyone know if this is something that can be added after purchase?

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    proximity sensor for what? alarm? You can add a proximity sensor to any aftermarket alarms. Also do you want interior prox or exterior prox or both? I can tell you that you're going to have ALOT of false alarms either way. The proximity field expends when theres no detection.

3. Mary Lou In Ohio

Mary Lou In Ohio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok - I admit -- I'm not a technical car person so I'm not sure I fully understand the reply to my post -- but we recently had a Dodge Caravan with proximity sensors that beeped when an object was close by. I know that the Prius has the backup camera but I found these sensors to be more helpful. Especially when something was low - like a kid's bike in the driveway, for example. That's the kind of thing I am looking for.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not as OE but aftermarkets stuff is out there. I think in some regions it is an option at the dealer. Check with yours.

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's pretty much anything you want to know about the parking mod (pics and details). http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ons/69601-very-cool-parking-assist-mod-2.html

I did it, it wasn't hard, and the end result was a very clean factory look.

You have to pull the bumper cover (not as hard as it sounds), drill 4 holes, run the wires.

That said, my new EBay reverse camera has distance lines burnt into the camera display - IMHO this is far superior (if you have something to display the camera on). I use this every day parking in my garage, or parallel parking...

The sensors also have audio out - so you don't need a display with those (beeping tone that changes as you get closer).

Each mod costs about the same ($50 DIY). Go the sensor method if no display, go the camera method if you have a way to display the rear cam.

To clarify - I am now on my second GenIII - I did not put parking assist in this one since the reverse camera works so silly well (Ebay search camry reverse camera - they mostly come from China and cost $50)

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Or you can order the new Prius with backup camera. It's display is in the rear view mirror. A place you might be looking anyway. ;)