1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pruis Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HeavyCruiser, Sep 12, 2006.

1. HeavyCruiser

HeavyCruiser New Member

Can anyone give me some info on the Prius Navigation System as far as using it is there a monthly fee involved and what price is it?

Can you upgrade the map every year?

Is the upgrade a download or a new disk?

Thanks for your help.

HeavyCruiser

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no fee, it's a recieve only system.
    If you want to upgrade the disk you can, I believe updates come out annually, but they're expensive and probably only worth it if you're a commercial driver very dependent on updated data for timely deliveries and such.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< HeavyCruiser...

... and if your extra heavy, bold commands had taken effect, I wouldn't have seen your post at all. As noted in my signature, I have put on "Ignore" such postings.

You can update annually the DVD which contains the mapping information used by the Prius NAV system. Seems the cost is around $300.

Here's a link to an online DVD which provides information on the Lexus system, same system as the Prius. The only difference is the position of the dashboard buttons.

http://www.lexus.com/models/es/interior.html#dvd

4. HeavyCruiser

HeavyCruiser New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Sep 12 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]318665[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the information I may just NAV with a Laptop and Microsoft GPS Program Streets & Maps thats what my nephew uses.

5. Salvalus

Salvalus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeavyCruiser @ Sep 12 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]318693[/snapback]</div>

Bad, bad idea!

I have a nice Navigation System in my Prius and in my BMW, so yeah, I am somewhat spoiled, but that's really not it.

Microsoft Streets & yadda (whatever the name is) was one of my thoughts when traveling (I own a franchise company, so I travel a lot to all of my franchisees) in a rental car. Well, I put it on my Tablet PC Notebook which should have made it pretty easy to use, because you simply tap with a stylus on the points you want to go to, certainly easier than using it, as you suggested, with a regular notebook (mouse and keyboard).

Well, it turns out that the MS software does NOT automatically re-route you if you make an early or late turn. It simply stops routing. Period. Try it.

So, if you travel on the passenger side and you want to re-enter your start/destination all the time on your laptop, well, then the MS software is OK (just "OK" though). But if you use your Nav System at any time alone in the car, then do yourself a favor and get a REAL Nav System (I bought - for travel in rental cars -one from NavMan which connects via Bluetooth to my PDA, threw me back $220.00, but my safety is worth that much!). Don't fiddle with a half-cooked toy application on a notebook while you drive. BTW. many States prohibit you as a driver from running a Notebook/Laptop while driving alone in the car, that's not the case with dedicated Nav Systems or with a full screen PDA GPS (which does not display other than GPS/Map data while in operation).

6. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I got my 2004 with Nav I used my PC with Street Atlas USA by DeLorme. It has a pretty good database, does recalculate if you miss a turn (that was added about 2 years ago)
    But lets look at the downsides of using a PC to do this compared to the nav in the Prius

1- You have to bring your PC with you all the time
    2- You have to wait for the boot up
    3- You open the program
    4- You plug in your GPS receiver and wait for it to capture the satellites
    5- The PC sits on the passenger seat, may fall off during stops and quick turns
    6- The PC is to your right, taking your eyes off the road
    7- No touch screen, you use the keyboard or your mouse pointer
    8- etc, etc

conclusion - get the Nav system!

Ron

I think it would be a better idea to get a stand alone GPS system rather than use your PC if you didn't want a built in NAV.

ron