1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PSD filter for 06 Prius???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by viking31, Oct 2, 2007.

1. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, with 50,000 miles on my 2006 Prius I decided it is probably time to get around to changing the PSD fluid. Read all the past posts and the main issue is the filling of the PSD but that seems to be solved with the use of a 4 or 5 foot length of tubing connected to a funnel to fill the PSD.

But while poking around the Toyota Parts Cheap website (looking for WS oil) I came across this PSD filter. Nowhere on Priuschat have I seen a reference for a 04 and up PSD filter.

So does one exist? If so, where is it??

Rick
    #4 2006

2. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

I am not an expert but I believe thats the cvt trans filter..yes? Just remove that pan under the CVT. The tubing is to inject fluids into the bolt hole (fill hole) right above the main cvt pan wherein the filter is. No funnel...just tubing into the hole. The dealer has a gun that injects the WS fluid into that hole (like most oil change places) but to install it yourself you have to use a hand pump connected to that long tubing into the hole ( can't get the pump above the hole so have to pump up into it). Done it many times to different cars.Its quite a mess in your driveway if it gets away from you!
    There's quite alot of discussion here lately about trans fluid replacement concerning length of service of the fluid as there's been some cvt failures of older Prius. Very $$$$$. The dealer says 100k miles before replacement but to me thats
    extremely long for a stock fluid. I live in Florida and the heat is brutal. I change out trans fluid in all my cars every 40-50k with a high performance fluid and in all my years of driving have never ever seen the inside of a trans repair place or a dealer rack. The premier trans replacement fluid in the industry is Redline. I have talked to the Redline factory concerning what they have to replace the WS Fluid on our cars and they recommend there D6 ATF. Please check Redline.com. Thats an upgrade to Toy's WS fluid. When my 07 reaches 30k I will certainly replace the WS fluid with there D6. I highly recommend Redline as it has fixed many cranky poorly shifting transmissions I have owned. Case in point. I have a 2001 Mazda Pickup thats essentially a Ford Ranger. A real P.O.S truck. It has a 5 speed manual trans that uses atf. It had a very sticky 3rd gear and a hard to engage 2 nd gear unless you punched it. First thing I did after I bought it used at 35k was install Redline atf. Both problems fixed and I wasn't surprised.Longevity and health of your car is all about its fluids.....kinda like humans....Good luck!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's Hobbit's page on how to change the PSD fluid...he lifts the Inverter to access the fill port rather than pumping from below...only needed a short tube.
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/maint50k/

AFAIK there is no filter for the PSD fluid.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There isn't really a filter for the transaxle, but there is a strainer on the transaxle oil pickup. There was some discussion about this recently because the o-ring on the pickup tube was probably the cause of failure in a Classic Prius.

The strainer is accessible by removing the pan on a Classic Prius, but not accessible in the 04 - 07 without disassembly of the transaxle.

Drawings of the strainer here: http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=513367