1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Public Charging Etiquette

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Hans Unrat, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi all, for the three years I have owned her, I have charged my ’17 Prime exclusively (with one exception) at home. On a recent trip, I was pleased to find two free unsupervised Rivian chargers at our accommodations (the exception was a hotel which required the staff to turn the charger on remotely).

On the first day, the charger was idle, I noted the time to a full charge and returned to disconnect the cable to find a Chevrolet Volt parked next to my car with the charging port door open and the plug cover removed. I felt a little uncomfortable about plugging the cable into a stranger’s car, but I did it anyway, and found a note “Thank you for plugging me in!” on my car the next morning.

On day two, parked my car next to an Audi plug-in Hybrid which was plugged in, however, the charger was idle, which meant that charging was complete. I felt even more uncomfortable disconnecting the plug from a stranger’s car, but, again, I did it anyway.

Is there a generally accepted code of conduct about taking over a charger once the car using it is fully charged, whether it is a free or pay charger?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who would get to decide? while you can find rules on the internet, someone who doesn't know them might shoot you.'
    in the case of the note, i would be more comfortable.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take your pick:

search

imo, this is one of the reasons that ev's are not ready for prime time

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Usually the handle is locked on most models now. That took a lot of the its all about me thinking out of the equation. The Audi must have set theirs to unlock after charging.
    Pay charging, don’t know enough about the way it works. On one in town, you have five minutes to unplug after charging, as then the idle fee is 50 cents per minute. I love that nice big fee for the space takers. I think with pay charging you don’t mess with their session?

bisco likes this.