1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Public Vehicle Plug in Charging stations?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SteveWlf, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am preparing a Gen2 for converstion to Plug-in and for longer road trips I have expected I would have to rely on Regen and ICE to keep the Aux battery bank charged or ultimately switch back to Hybrid mod. I'm planning to go with the the Plug-in Supply conversion with the 10Kw pack and onboard charger (along with the above mentioned capabilities).

On a recent trip from Portland OR to my home in western WA, I stopped at my favorite diner, just north of Richfield WA and was surprised to find a double charging station in the back of the parking lot. One was for 120V charging and I understant the other was for the higher voltage (don't know but might have been 2o8 or 220 volt. What a neat set up. The area was marked off with Green parking strips, etc.. Well lit and with a little shade to boot. There was a fellow with a Prius Plug-in sitting in a lawn chair, reading a book while his faithful dog lounged in the back, hatch open.

I talked to him briefly and he said he traveled that route regularly and charged up about every 75 miles, driving in blended mod and being retired, didn't mind the 45 min break while he charged up.

Another fellow stopped by and ask about the charging station and how much it cost and was told, it didn't cost anything, To that the fellow, said "well someone has to be paying for it!!" We never really got an answer to that arguement but the PiP owner showed use a little plastic "Fob" on his key ring and said " 'They' just sent me this so I could activate the charging station. Never got any clear definition of Who 'They' are??

Unfortunately, I didn't get the name or logo off the charging station. Nor did I stick around to see it that Visitor further chanlenged the politics of the Public Charging Station system the seem to be popping up along the PNW I-5 corridor.

Did a quick Google but only got a few hits but nothing to discribe the prospects of continued use of these. I have heard of a number of merchants and emplyers who are installing them in their parking lots. Right now they seem to be free, but eventually, I'm sure someone will convince them to allow a for profit operator to run them and we know how that will go.

I hear, that if these free charging stations want to be Green, the simply install a shed roof of solar panels at each station. My sons employer has all plug in vehicles charging stations on the roof of the parking structure, just for this reason. What a great idea!

If anyone had any links to further information on this charging system "network", if there is one yet, I would be interested.

Thoughts and comments.

Steve

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's info about Oregon's charging stations coming online:

Office of Innovative Partnerships and Alternative Funding Electric Vehicles and Infrastructure Program

Here's info about Washington State's charging stations coming online: West Coast Green Highway - Electric Highways

Here's info on charging stations nation-wide that are coming online: The EV Project » Home

Here's info about Tesla motors secretly bringing online solar powered charging stations that, along with how Tesla plans to sell their cars, has got car dealerships sueing them: more info on those issues here: Tesla Motors Launches Revolutionary Supercharger Enabling Convenient Long Distance Driving | Press Releases | Tesla Motors Tesla Unveils Solar Powered Charging Stations and also here: Tesla Motors Sued By Car Dealers - Slashdot