1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pulled my hair out over misfiring codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigpal24, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bigpal24

bigpal24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to inform any prius owners that are having misfire code problems with their cars and have tryed everything that i have found the problem with mine and i really hope that it can get to anyone else thats getting a multiple misfire code on their cars , the problem i found after putting A LOT OF TRIPS TO THE DEALERSHIP. and money at it,,was on the bottom of the spark ignitor there is a little rubber boot which slips over the sparkplug ,this boot becomes dry and brittle and cracks ,little cracks which is hard to see without bending the tip from side to side,this causes misfiring out the side of the rubber boot not reaching the plug, i discovered this about ten min. ago and my fix was to wrap the rubber tip with black electrical tape until i can get news spark igniters, the car stopped misfiring instantly, I really hope that this finds the right people and if one of you could repost this the correct way(i have no web skills don't know if this will go out but i know theres people out there that really needs it) i and they will really appreciate it, i have a 2007 model​

bshef, uart and koolingit like this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for sharing bigpal24. I'll be sure to inspect those boots closely when I change my plugs in the near future.

BTW. Does anyone happen to know if these boots can be replaced by themselves (without replacing ingniters).

bigpal24 likes this.
  3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Nothing listed at Autozone. Interesting that O'Rielly Auto Parts lists a coil-on-plug boot by two manufacturers that is not serviceable/available and says full coil replacement only. So, an otherwise functioning coil except for high voltage leaks because of a 20 cent rubber boot must be replaced for $100 each. I looked over my coil packs when I replaced plugs recently, and decided to rub a little dielectric grease into that flexible rubber boot just for good measure.

bigpal24 and uart like this.
  4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's exactly what I was thinking of doing after reading the OPs experience. (y)

bigpal24 likes this.
  5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good info. I wonder if it would be possible to see the arcing, if one used a small inspection mirror, in the dark.

bigpal24 likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A length of heat shrink tubing works well it this situation. Sometimes there is room for several layers.

John (Britprius)

bigpal24 likes this.