1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulled the trigger - Ray's Eco Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kremtok, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, with the winter season wearing down and the tax return on its way in, I finally sprang for a set of Ray's CE28 ECO Drive wheels. The folks at Upgrade Motoring were able to offer me the best quoted price included shipping. So far, my impression of them is very positive. They gave me a bit of a discount off of their regular price, which itself is lower than the list price.

Of course, the wheels are special order, so they quoted me a delivery date in about 3 months. I'm hoping it's a bit sooner than that, but I suppose it's going to be worth waiting for. I'll update you all on their service and my impression of the wheels themselves. Until then, let's hope for a quick delivery!

2. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    awesome avatar...very good album!!! awesome...

3. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's a nice-looking hand-drawn Majesty symbol you have there. MST Paint FTW!

While I'm thinking of it, does anyone have any recommendations for tires? We get a lot of rain up here in the summer, and I'd prefer a tire with superior wet traction. Thanks for your ideas!

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    MSPaint rules... ha ha. I used to use it as my little avatar in Half Life...i'd spray everyone I'd whack! :)

As for the tires, I have some Yokohama AS430s...seems like its done well in the rain, but I haven't been in anything super heavy as of yet. It has good bite on the road...hence why i'm probably only getting 44mpg around town.

6. tinyfoot

tinyfoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm glad I stumbled across this thread - I didn't have that DT album yet!
    Gotta love iTunes music store for that. can't wait for tomorrow's commute!
    (now I just need that new sub...)

7. stellaf

stellaf New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

It is such a useful article and I found a lot of information with the help of this article. Thank you so much for sharing.

Stella

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey you want to post some pictures once you get them mounted?

9. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I put Kazerre KZX's 16's on for winter. 16.6lbs each, lighter than stock and less than Volk's

10. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice wheels. :thumb: Not sure, did you get 15" or 16" diam.? Offset on that web site showed only +35mm for the 5X100 bolt fitments, will these not push out past the wheel well edges on your Prius? I have 16X7 wheels with what I think was an offset of 42 or 43mm, and they ended up right on the edge. A very flush fit that doesn't stick outside the body.

Do post pictures when you get these rims installed! Good luck chosing a tire. I ran a set of TripleTreds for over 60k miles and they performed very well in the rain. On the negative side, they did get increasingly noisy after 15 to 20k. I'll need new summer tires soon, but I really don't want to run a directional tread this time. Would prefer to be able to cross the tires to opposite sides of the car when rotating them.

11. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tire Rack reccomends for 16" touring wheels the Potenzas, but I still went for Ecopias. I can cross the Ecopias without remounting.

12. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the tire suggestions, folks. Yes, I ordered the 16" version, and I'm not too worried about fitment because this wheel is supposed to be designed for the car. I could always roll the fenders a bit if they stick out. I'll be sure to get some pictures for you all once they arrive.

13. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UPS came by this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're going on the car tomorrow at 0800. I'll wash her up when I get home and give you some fresh photos and initial impressions.

Attached Files:

14. asianguy80

asianguy80 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those are some sexy rims! Can't wait to see the pics.

15. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As promised, here are some photos of my car with the new rims:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though I'm aghast at the amount of money it cost to put the things on the car with TPMS, I'm very happy with the end result. Someone mentioned that the offset may cause the wheels to stick out a bit, but as you can see, that proved not to be a problem. The lugnuts that were sent are a bit darker than I may have selected myself, but I think it breaks up all of the silver rather nicely.

I keep having to remind myself that 16" wheels look fine with this car, because weight reduction is so important in the Prius. Wouldn't it be great if that same wheel was offered in 17" and 18" sizes? Good thing they don't, because it undoubtedly would have been even more money and my wife never would have gone for it.

Last - a plug for the folks at Upgrade Motoring. They did a great job at getting me what I needed as quickly as can reasonably be expected, and at a good price. They are in California, but as you can tell from looking at my car, they will ship nationwide. If you're in the market for this wheel or any of the Volk lineup, give them a shout. It will be worth your while.

Thanks for looking :)

Attached Files:

16. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for posting! Those are some sweet wheels indeed!!!!! :rockon:

... Brad

17. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can attest that they are fabulous. Mine arrived a day after Kremtok's. But I couldn't get them mounted until the 11th.

Attached Files:

18. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NICE! Light = better MPH and performance.

19. l8apexr

l8apexr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DROOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

I'm looking to get a set in Formula Silver for my Prius to match my Formula Silver coloured Volk Racing RE30's that are on my IS300.

How much was the final price from upgrade motoring?

20. l8apexr

l8apexr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOVE the wheels. I'm looking to get a set in the Formula Silver colour to compliment the RE30's in Formula Silver that are currently on my IS300.

What was the final price from upgrade?
    Did they take 3 months to come in?
    Have you noticed any mpg improvement yet?

I highly suggest Ecopia's from Bridgestone once you're done wearing out the EL400's.