1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

puller for rear drum?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by archibald tuttle, Mar 24, 2022.

1. archibald tuttle

archibald tuttle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    there is no access at center of drum to a stationary portion of the hub to use a traditional puller. I am also used to seeing threaded holes left in the drum adjacent to the hub so bolts can be inserted to push the drum off but don't see anything like that.

jaws that I have for slide hammer pullers are not large enough.

what is usual expereince practice here. hit the drum with hammer hoping to loosen enough for hand removal or what do you pry/push against.

thanks

brian

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Assuming that your drums are seized to the hubs (and not hanging up on the shoes), there are two things that usually work for me. One is to strike the face of the drum with a large (2lb?) hammer- first close around the lugs, then further out towards the corners. Two is to apply heat from a propane or acetylene torch around the lugs and hub center for a minute or two before hammering some more.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thee hammer always . And I usually. See two 6 mm threaded holes on drums? Put 2 bolts lightly tensioned smack lil more turn smack off .. I’ve used heat sparingly too.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you sure they’re not there? Our third gen has ‘em on the rotors. Takes m8 bolts.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only explanation I could think of might be if the drums had been replaced previously with aftermarket versions that don't have the M8 x 1.25 holes. That could be a headache.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. archibald tuttle

archibald tuttle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks all for replies.
    maybe i missed 'em. i was purposefully looking for them but they could have been full of junk and corrosion and looked the same as the drum surface (and the murphy in me might have had a confirmation bias as to the notion that no such means were provided.

I could also potentially find a bigger set of puller jaws for a slide hammer together with heat etc.

and @mr_guy_mann "Assuming that your drums are seized to the hubs (and not hanging up on the shoes)". I just noticed that they didn't exhibit the least bit of movement upon mild percussive treatment. I tend to expect it is usually some of both. i can't remember every pull drums that didn't hang up on the shoes, but that happens after you start to move the drum off and the ridge at the outer edge of the drum starts to contact the shoes.

thanks again, and off to get some heat and tooling and try harder.

brian

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had to deal with that on a different car once. Drums from the dealer included the threaded holes, but the ones some previous owner had put on did not. I can confirm it was a headache getting those off.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stupid question but: your parking brake’s off?

Another likes this.