1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulling DCM Fuse from 2022 Prius LE to prevent tracking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CUDAcores89, Jul 28, 2024 at 4:13 PM.

1. CUDAcores89

CUDAcores89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just wondering if anyone knows the negative side effects from doing this.

I recently bought a 2022 Toyota Prius LE with only 25,000 miles on it. It's in great condition and was a lease-return with service records from only the dealer.

Why a Prius? Because my previous car was a 2007 Chevy Impala. I loved that car because it had no screen, no computers that could phone home, and no data tracking. I also drive a ton of miles a year all over the upper midwest and I'm going to be saving thousands of dollars in gas annually.

I read earlier this year that GM and Toyota are selling driver data to insurance companies including where you go, when you brake hard, and how fast you're going. They can then use this information to sell to insurance companies where they will raise your premium. We'll I want no part of that. And I don't buy the whole "opt out on Toyota's website" thing either because companies have consistently proven to collect and sell your data even when you explicitly tell them not to.

I did some research and found out the the DCM/Mayday fuse is responsible for sending driver data to Toyota. After pulling the fuse, none of the features that I care about have appeared to change. The only thing I use my car for is radio (I use my phone for everything else) so I don't care about GPS navigation, handsfree calling, or anything like that. My phone already does that!

I can't find any other information on the 4th gen Prius. People from the 4runner and Tacoma forums seem to be talking about this but not anyone else. Any other 4th gen Prius owners pulled their DTC fuse?

#1 CUDAcores89, Jul 28, 2024 at 4:13 PM
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2024 at 4:19 PM