1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulling differential oil seals

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jakob, Jul 13, 2024 at 7:12 PM.

1. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, I have a bit of a transmission fluid leak that seems to be coming from where the left drive axle enters the transmission. The service manual has a section on replacing this oil seal with the transmission "on-vehicle", and that says to use a special internal bearing extractor to pull it:

IMG_20240707_154433.jpg

Fine, but later on in the transaxle disassembly instructions it says to just use a screwdriver to pry out these same seals:

IMG_20240713_132136.jpg
    IMG_20240713_132150.jpg
    There are a few differences here, like the differential itself has been removed in the latter case, and the transaxle is out of the vehicle so is generally more accessible.

Does anybody know why a screwdriver would suffice in one situation but not another? Or if anybody's replaced these seals, what worked well for you? I'm wondering if the extractor is overkill for this repair.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Those pullers are extremely cheap to buy now and most of the auto parts stores have them or you can borrow them for your job and bring them back or whatever loner. If you can get a long screwdriver or a lady slipper or something like that up in there and you can flick it right out once you have the axles out and out of your way then you'll see what it is you need to do that's why I can explain it I'm sure there are other videos of other cars like a Yaris or a Corolla with them changing the seals on the transmission end CV joints there's nothing really to it. And the special SST you're looking at is probably not needed

3. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if the screwdriver method in the complete transaxle teardown section is assuming that you're going to junk the seal as soon as you remove it, so it doesn't matter if you beat it up getting it out.

I don't think Toyota ever offered any kind of parts kit for the Gen1 transaxle, but you can get various parts kits (just the gears and bearings, or just the seals, or the gears and bearings and seals and everything) for popular transmissions from other makes. Maybe Toyota thought a seal kit would be available at the time the manual was written.

Disclaimer: I've never replaced one of these seals. I had my eyeball and fingers on one today, but that's another long story. :D

4. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you can't tell from the picture above but the SST puller doesn't have just plain hooks, it's made to roughly match the curve of the seal lip, so distributes the force a bit more.

[​IMG]

It seems this type of tool isn't readily available to rent and often costs hundreds of dollars. Talking to some other folks I'm pretty sure now the reason they recommend the puller rather than prying is just because it's too hard to get a good angle and leverage with the transaxle in the car. They're probably right, and I'd better try a puller of some sort.
    I was thinking along these lines earlier, but the seal is marked as a non-reusable part in the manual so I think they're expecting it to be replaced in the on-vehicle scenario too. I'm not sure about a seal kit, but replacement seals at least are readily available, so no trouble there.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That is not so so I need to pull a couple of these tools for you off Amazon eBay and whatnot I will send them directly to your email I can't post pictures here like all you guys do all day I have to put them in a file reduce them and do a bunch of nonsense I have a bunch of those pullers little tiny ones too man they don't cost squat look it temu and all those places

That profile is not of the oil lip seal that profile is a standard most of my little pullers in the oh I don't know what does it half inch to 2 in range have a very similar lip You can even buy a little red looking sapon box yeah I meant to say that. That has what looks like a snap-on puller set made by not them that has different jaws two different threaded rods different ends most of them are silver like picture either they're black maybe the silver finish is costing extra money or something absolutely no need for that. When you remove the seals if you want to go to the junkyard before you start doing any of this or to a towing lot where you can see some transmissions with the drive axles out laying on the ground and sitting in the car you'll see what you're up against It's really not a big to do but we can make it whatever we like. That's what my mom always told me so I don't make it too much on other makes a vehicle similar to this that came from the California nummi plant . That would be Corollas and Chevy novas and that sort of thing similar engines similar seals same transmission many times etc Not a real issue so I'm not sure I think here in North Carolina where I am if I go to advance Auto the tools similar to the silver one You've posted is in there arsenal of nonsense it's just black

And to be honest I haven't had to go to the toolbox and pull one of those pullers out since about 1996 I usually use the flat screwdriver or the lip seal puller hook which cost $9 at any parts store there everywhere You're not trying to save the seal you're taking out that's pro tip number one so there's no reason to extract it beautifully You're not reinserting it You don't need to measure it anything like that this is not some kind of car that can't be looked up some transmissions have a different seal on each side the car no worries the part number will dictate this and that's the one you'll be buying for the given side of the car oh and good luck.

Even with the crude looking lady slipper riveted hook on the metal handle which is made for this job If you are any kind of General mechanic that lip seal pops right out it's not made to destroy the seal what it will do is put a little nick on the back side of the lip when you flick it like you do the screwdriver but you can still reuse this I don't. Because the seals are a whopping $4 or whatever they are a piece even the fel-Pro ones.

#5 Tombukt2, Jul 14, 2024 at 8:59 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2024 at 4:21 PM
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just went down to the shop and looked in my old buddy's tool box who's been dead for a few years now and found one of these pullers like you pictured that will actually fit in the hole that's only about 10 or 11 mm and it'll open up this one to about almost an inch and then there's another one that covers the next range of sizes if you will they're black they look just like the silver thing you posted here exactly and they're old The profile on the jaws that grab the lip almost identical lip seals pretty much The lips that you grab on other than being different hole sizes The profiles of the lips are very similar You're not pulling on the part that runs on the metal that lip on the tool is grabbing a little higher up to the rubber covered metal that actually is tapped into the hole that you're putting the seal in.