1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulling the trigger, or not

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Repinator, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Repinator

Repinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

What a great forum. I have been losing myself in all the reading.....So much fabulous information. Thank you administrator, mods and members!

So, I am Prius-less at the moment. I own a '99 RAV4 with 230k and will drive it 'till it won't drive no more. However, my job requires that I drive 600 - 1200 miles each week. The gas bills are ridiculous. Although, I do enjoy the sky miles I get from that :)

The way I see it, I can own a Prius for little additional funds, as the gas savings will almost pay the monthly car payment. The RAV averages 22 mpg.

I am being very particular about the Prius I want.... a black 2010 with all the bells and whistles (heated leather seats, moon roof, nav, back up camera are must haves). No one around here has one except in silver. I will NOT compromise on the color.

So, today the dealer calls, they have a 2011 Prius four, in black with all the goodies and then some at 32k, 7k more than I want to spend, which is why I am looking for a 2010.

Ugh, I may bite the bullet. Just hope I don't choke on it. :eek:

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting... everyone's different in what they want. I would almost never want a black car. They look good when they're clean but hard to keep clean. I'd rather not pay for leather. I have nav on my 06 but some folks here are unhappy (right or wrong) about the nav system, cost of updates, interface, how up to date the map data is, price, etc.

I've never owned a car w/a sunroof, but then again, my Prius and 04 Z were unavailable w/them.

If you don't get one as loaded, then the gas savings probably will cover the car payment.

3. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is one in my neighborhood: CarMax in Laurel MD

They have a couple hundred used Prii in their inventory nationwide. I It would be worth the trip to get the very car you want. I know how that is.

Either way you go, you will immediately be glad you made the switch. There is nothing like spending $30 or so every other week on gas. Of course, yours would be more frequent. Anyway, awesome choice. I have had black cars, and you do have to keep after their cleanliness, but they look great when you do.

Keep us updated and good luck.

4. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I purchased an '11 Black Prius IV w tinted windows and leather seats about two months ago. My 18 yr old son heard that I'd just bought a Prius and was on my way home from the dealership. He was disappointed in Dad until I pulled up in the driveway and he said that was the only color I could have got and still been considered 'cool' LOL

I love my BLACK Prius and enjoy keeping it clean. I have heated leather seats and tints but no nav or solar roof. I'm still very happy with my purchase!!!

One thing I've never liked with the Prius is the small black window on the hatchback. The black Prius does an excellent job at disguising this.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Careful not to over-extend yourself.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The flight crew were not "wasting fuel." Many aircraft are certificated to take off at a much higher gross weight than is allowed for landing.

The flight crew can either dump the fuel and allow it to vaporize in the atmosphere (the horror!) or burn it off as they attempt to rectify the problem.

That's just the way it is.

If DiCaprio doesn't like that reality, he should donate some of his money to aeronautical research. Until that happens, whining about it will do no good.

7. Repinator

Repinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks all, for your input.

All my friends and family say the same about black cars, but black IS COOL. My RAV is black and The touch less car wash is next door to my favorite coffee shop, so I visit regularly.

I hear what you are saying about the savings, and I have considered a $16k used Pruis, but when you spend 4 to 6 hours behind the wheel 5 days a week (my office) comfort is of utmost importance.

Great web site, I have been searching on 3 other sites, none as good as this one. Thanks! It will give me more ammunition when I talk to the dealer here.

Tinted? As in the dark privacy windows? I have dark privacy windows on my RAV, very cool looking! I want this on the Prius, but the dealer said they are not an option on any Prius, and I have never seen them on any. I WANT IT!!!

Thanks, I do keep that in mind. 25k is comfortable, 30k means 1 or 2 fewer dinners out each month :D

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a Prius and a Rav4. Love them both but I hate the mpg on the Rav4. I totally understand your need for the Prius. :)