1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Puls and glide above 41 mph?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by lagreca, Jul 17, 2007.

1. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

I practice pulse and glide on surface streets where it is possible. However some of my driving will be done on a southern california freeway, where the average speed is 65-70. Are there any higher speed techniques like P&G that can be used on the freeway?

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the terrain is flat or inclines relatively modest, ECC may be your best bet. I recently completed a test comparing ECC to a technique of manual pedal control designed to keep RPM within an efficient range, with warp stealth used in the latter method as indicated. (Test results in draft form now, soon to be posted at an as-yet-undecided location with links from the various forums. Catgic, incidentally, was a peer reviewer.) In brief, ECC did as well as the other method, and is considerably easier.

With moderate to steep hills, my experience and that of others suggests that manual control over the pedal and RPM is still the way to go for best fuel economy. ECC is very aggressive at trying to maintain speed on uphills and tends to force the ICE into an inefficient high RPM range. No controlled testing there yet, though.

Here's a tip that might help you decide whether to use ECC: Keep the instantaneous MPG above half the vehicle speed during heavier demand. If ECC pushes it lower than that, then manual control to keep it higher, along with appropriate use of warp stealth, might yield better results.