1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulse and glide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tadashi, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a road trip coming up (1900 mi). I have read about pulse and glide at the slower speeds. Has anyone tried this at highway speeds? Does it make you sea sick? Usually I just set cruise control but was willing to give this a try if it is worth it.

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Yes Tadashi, it does work, but I've been doing it at speeds between 50 and 63. Do you consider that high speed? I've not been able to notice any gains above 63MPH. It's much more difficult to get into a deadband glide at these speeds, so I just try to get as little flow as possible without it going into regen. The majority of my commute is posted at 55 or 65 MPH and I've managed a few tanks at 59 MPG calculated and 60 on the MFD.

On a 1900 mile roadtrip, I'd set the cruise and maybe even turn off the MFD. That's a long way to go to be concerned with a couple of dollars (at most) worth of fuel. Of course it will take your mind off of the long drive time. Good luck!

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was planning on going 70 mph even though they raised the speed limit to 85 mph.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I will just pop in an audio book and set the cruise control. Plus it is hard to do the pulse and glide while munching on snacks. :D

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 19 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]273387[/snapback]</div>
    Here is some good information from hobbit:

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/warpstealth.html