1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulse & glide in a non-hybrid?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RebelScum, Jun 26, 2009.

1. RebelScum

RebelScum New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I couldn't really figure out a more appropriate place to ask this question, so here it is.

Is there any benefit of doing some form of pulse & glide in a non-hybrid car? I kind of doubt it, since, from my understanding, the benefit comes from the glide part, where the ICE is not running, so you are running completely on inertia. With a non-hybrid, this is not the case, since the ICE runs anyway. The only way to get a similar effect would be to turn off the ignition during a glide, and then restart for a pulse.

So, is it better to just maintain a constant speed in a non-hybrid car?

2. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes it is possible and very dangerous but people do it. It involves turning off the engine with the key during the glide portion. I have seen video of it and I guess the MPG results can be pretty good.

G

3. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    It would not be wise to turn off your engine because you will lose your power steering and brakes. I coast down 6% grades with the engine at idle and then bring the rpm up to 1/3 of my speed before putting it back in gear. It does help your mpg greatly to do that but you have to be good a sinking your transmission rpm’s with the engines rpm’s. You get a mismatch and you will feel it jerk. I have it down to a science but it is not recommended for everyone. Also, it is not recommended for automatic transmissions to glide with your engine off. That's why you see all the motor homes pulling their stick shif cars behind them.

4. whoever

whoever New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With stick shift, put in neutral if you try to maintain current speed for as long as possible, especially on a gentle down slope. Leave in gear when approaching red light or trying to slow down significantly. My 12 year old car MPG just jumped from 35 to 40+

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi RS,

Go over the CleanMPG.com , they have all sorts of comments and advice for non hybrid cars fuel economy. Pulse and Glide does work for non-hybrid cars. It was a technique common in the Mobil Fuel Marathons in the 60's. I read about that in the 70's. Argonne and Virginia Tech just published an SAE paper about the technique using a Prius and a non-hybrid cars. In both cases dramatically increased fuel economy was obtained. I do not think the non-hybrid car had the engine shut down, just idled.

The issue with non-hybrid cars is that Automatic Transmissions are typically not designed to be rolled down the road with the engine off. There are a few exceptions - primarily those that are towable. Damage to the transmission can result. Some people will neutral shift, but this is very very dangerous in regards to going past neutral. The shifters with the button on the side are better for this. And some automatic tranmissions are designed to permit this, and others not. CleanMPG will be the best source of info on this.

6. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've read that a transmission in neutral will not circulate transmission fluid properly, or something like that, and can cause damage. So I stopped doing that with my wife's Echo.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. It's called Pulse & Coast (cause you can't glide in a normal car). Just accelerate like you would in a Prius and then let go of the accelerator and coast. Some cars are better (depends on how much engine braking there is in the gear that the automatic transmission selected). I managed to get 8.xL/100km in a 4 cylinder Camry vs. 10.8L/100km in mostly city driving (rated 10.1/6.7 city/hwy for 2002).

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P&G on non-hybrids works either way, engine idling or engine off. I keep engine on, and coordinate with rolling hills, but don't do it on flats. Engine off is an advanced technique that gives higher numbers, but would cause too much wear and tear on my pre-hybrid manual transmission cars. I just bought a hybrid instead.

Loss of power steering and brakes is a canard. Having learned to drive in old cars that frequently stalled at inconvenient times, I learned that power boost is a convenience, not a necessity. Non-power steering is hard only at parking lots speeds, not highway speeds. Brake accumulators store vacuum for several applications, after that you just have to stomp harder. If you don't get several applications, GET YOUR BRAKE BOOSTER FIXED!!. If a car is so big or clumsy that it cannot be controlled without power boost, I won't own it, and strongly suggest that you don't either.

I second the comments that CleanMPG is a better reference for this.

9. turapeach

turapeach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Taxi drivers in Beijing drive this way. Either they don't know how to drive, or they are trying to eak out slightly better gas mileage. ;) I think they are going for the gas mileage. While I can appreciate the desire to save gas and $, it makes me :sick:

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Using a pretty radical pulse and glide I was able to improve my mileage in my Camry from 9 litres per 100 kilometres to 7 litres per 100 kilometres but a less radical version of pulse and glide achieved 8 litres per 100 kilometres.

Radical = engine off glide, so no power steering, restart engine by selecting 5th gear and engaging the clutch at about 50km/h then accelerate to 68km/h then engine off glide again. Engine off at traffic lights, start the engine in 1st gear to get moving.
    Less radical as above but allow engine to idle rather than turn it off. Engine off at prolonged stops at traffic lights, restart before green light and move off normally.

Oh I also accelerated pretty hard in first and second gear up to 60km/h then select 5th gear in both methods, this seemed to work for the 2 litre Camry.

Your results may vary.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been in the car several times with Wayne Gerdes as he's P&Ged a conventional vehicle. He's proven to me that in his car shutting off the engine does not disengage the power steering and power brakes. Perhaps this used to be the case but I can imagine it being a safety issue or whatever. In a "normal" car it's a very busy endeavor: pulse up to speed, shut off the engine, turn the key to AUX, glide for as long as you're comfortable, start the engine, repeat.

In speaking with Justin Fons of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group, he informed me that the Honda Insight used for the record-setting MPG drive was modified with a button to kill the engine and another to kick it on. He said, as you can imagine, that the button made the whole thing considerably easier. Though in an Insight, this is refered to as Forced Auto Shutdown (FAS) but is integrated into P&G.

12. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FAS = Forced Auto Stop which is keying the engine off but leaving it back in the run position so you still have steering and your accessories. You can pulse and glide in any car without shutting the engine off. With a Scangauge, pulse up to you max speed, feather the throttle back while watching your tps, lod, ign, and MPG. When you see your MPG hit max MPG (ultimately 9999mpg), you are in fuel cut. Set your foot into rigor mortis (you will have to feather off the throttle) and glide down to your minimum mph and start the process over.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is FAS?

Hmm, something changed?

Making the engine spin for no gain is wasteful. Disengage transmission and turn the engine off saves fuel.

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shutting off the engine in most cars will kill the power steering. If you have electric power steering it doesn't. You can still steer but it is heavier, in a straight line you hardly notice but if you have to turn it's hard. Brakes still have boost for one or 2 applications, then the brakes will become very heavy.

When I kill the engine I always turn the ignition on ready to restart. Although I have the transmission in neutral I keep the clutch depressed ready to restart quickly if needed. If I need to restart I just throw it into 5th or 4th and lift my left foot, back to normal driving.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    P&G, neutral while stopped, etc. etc. -NOTHING- improved the mileage of the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder). It burned fuel just to keep the cat warm, it injected extra fuel just to keep the cat cool. Apparently fuel was an ejectable resource. ;)

16. whoever

whoever New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's in some auto transmission, manual cars are built to coast. I haven't gone to the extreme of shutting of engine, but if you leave key in ignition II, depress clutch and leave in the proper gear, restart is instant and does not cost anything.

17. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't pretend to understand the technicalities of implementing P&G in
    a non-hybrid. That said, it looks like the most complete discussions of it
    are here:

Fuel Economy, Hypermiling - Ecomodder.com Fuel Economy Forum :cheer2:

CleanMPG Forums - Powered by vBulletin :cheer2:

I lurk there because I've come to respect the ingenuity and pioneering
    spirit that is so often demonstrated in the funds/resources limited real
    world search for high FE/MPGs that faces the majority of drivers on the
    road. :rockon:

Many of the technical gurus and ++MPG seekers/achievers who are
    members here also post on these boards. It is always a pleasure to
    see them carrying the flag for the Prius/HSD in the non-marque
    specific discussions that characterize these boards. Well done.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Returning to the OP, I have another comment ...

P&G should work better in a non-hybrid than in a hybrid, on a proportionate basis. Traditional American non-hybrids cruising at highway speed are operating far out of their engine's most efficient energy conversion range, so there is a lot of improvement available. Hybrids should be operating much closer to their maximum efficiency, so P&G in them has less potential for improvement.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The right place is CleanMPG.com. Alternatively, since this is not a 2010 Prius specific question, "Fred's" might be a better place.

Yes, because in an Otto powered vehicle, the engine thermodynamic efficiency increases with a more open throttle. In contrast, our hybrid Atkinson based engines appear to have better thermodynamic efficiency at partial power. I have brake specific fuel consumption data that shows this is the case, if you are interested.

It is easy to rig a 'kill switch' and stop the engine.

Yes, piece of cake on an isolated road with no traffic in sight. The practicality is a separate question but you are asking the right question even if in the wrong forum.

Bob Wilson

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pat, couldn't you just clutch-in if you're pulse and coasting with the engine on?