1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pulse-n-glide: what speeds can you maintain?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alokeprasad, Jan 17, 2010.

1. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use the ICE (with the HSI in the upper half of the right side) to get to the desired speed (or maybe 5 mph higher). Then I use the motors (HSI just short of mid-level) to "glide" or maintain the desired speed.

I find it difficult to maintain more than 35 mph using this method.This is with one occupant, tires at factory spec pressure, level road.

What speeds are you all able to maintain using the electric motors alone?

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are not gliding. Gliding should be down near (but not in) the regen area, say the 1st quarter of the ECO band, whereas you are applying power near the middle of the ECO band. Gliding and maintaining speed are fundamentally different things. Gliding is at the whim of the rolling resistance, air resistance, and gravity (like being in neutral).

The car decides when to tap the ICE versus the batteries versus both based on factors such as power needed (speed, wind, etc), SOC, warm-up stage, climate control setting, mode selection, etc. So there is no single speed that keeps the ICE off.

P&G is a cycle, done in a band (e.g., 40 to 35 mph). Accelerate to 40, glide to 35, repeat. In the right setting, this gives great fuel economy, as opposed to steady speed near the middle of the ECO band of HSI.

3. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the Eco range of HSI is 0 - 100 (ignoring the Regen and Power segments), usually the warmed-up ICE comes on at 50%.

If I keep the HSI at 25% after pulsing to 40 mph, the speed drops to 35 really quickly. In my case, if I try to P&G between 40mph and 35 mph, while keeping the HSI at 25% in the glide phase, I'll be pulsing way too often. That many ICE starts and stops can't be good for the fuel economy (and durability either).

P&G between 35 and 30 mph is easier and 30 and 25 mph is easier still.

Once we have reached a speed on a level road, and want to maintain that speed, we have to overcome the rolling resistance and wind resistance.

Thus my Q to the community: under the conditions in my OP, what speed are you able to maintain by keeping the HSI at

48%
    40%
    25%

4. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You guys crack me up.

Let's say you hypermilers increase your average MPG from 50 to 55. A person driving 15k miles will save 27 gallons PER YEAR. At $3 per gallon gas prices (we seem to be headed there), that's $81 PER YEAR!

Don't you think you're already doing enough by driving a car that does a GREAT job of helping us preserve our planet's oil reserves, reduce our dependency on foreign oil, AND is very kind to the environment with minimal emissions?

Stop driving yourselves crazy (pun intended). Just drive the car and enjoy it.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, we aren't yet doing enough, and by a very wide margin.

1 person likes this.
  6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jim, I don't mind if others choose not to P&G, nor do I always do so myself. Just pointing out that the driving described had nothing to do with that technique. I still pick up abandoned coins, too. It's just in my genes, and I enjoy the challenge for the high FE, not to mention a fundamental objection to buying oil from people who wish me and my loved ones death.

Don't be deceived into thinking it 55 vs 50. More like 75+ vs 50.

7. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Back to my question :)

Under the conditions in my OP, what speed are you able to maintain by keeping the HSI at

48%
    40%
    25%

Or, alternatively, under my conditions (properly inflated tires, level flat road), how often do you end up pulsing when you use electric motors at 25% HSI to glide between

45 mph - 40 mph
    40 mph - 35 mph
    35 mph - 30 mph
    30 mph - 25 mph?

(Is that a valid question, ksstathead?)

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My apologies OP. 25% should bleed down to parking lot speed, but slowly. 40-48% is probably 30-35 mph as you suggested in post 1.

5 mph band for P&G is kind of low, and, if combined with placard psi, will require annoyingly frequent pulses. I just try to fit the conditions. For example, my commute has a light followed by a flat 1/2 mile to another light where I turn left and usually have to wait. I pulse up to 40 at 100% ECO or barely into PWR band, then glide over 1/4 mile into light. After turn, I have a flat 1/4 mile where I pulse back to 40, then it glides (at 0-10% of ECO) down to a creekbed and up to a light, so easily 3/4 mile glide down to around 20 mph. Basically, pulse every 1/2 to 1 mile absent longer descents. I try not to accelerate going up hill, so I may accelerate harder pre-climb or stay in that 50% ECO area if I want to hold speed to the crest, then start a glide. I glide between 25% and 0% of ECO, depending on whether the terrain needs an extended glide or pure glide. I will pulse anywhere between 75% ECO and well into PWR, but usually near 100% ECO.

If I have to pulse more than once or twice in a mile, I tend not to P&G there.

All of this is subject to traffic courtesy, of course. These are multi-lane areas without heavy traffic.

If you edge your psi upward from placard toward max sidewall, you will be happier with gliding and mpg. My psi has increased as my comfort level grew, to the point that I go max sidewall unless I know I need a softer ride for rough sections or something. Even then, I don't go down all the way to placard, which I've come to regard as the manufacturer's soft ride level that assumes I drive hard, while the tire company's maximum improves tire life, handling, and FE.

Others can add nice scientific answers, but I do not have that data. Good luck.

9. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At 48mph or higher, I find the best approach is to get to speed a little over the Eco range, and once up to speed reduce to around 50%, which will peg the MPG at 100mpg and apply power as needed to maintain speed, keeping mpgs between 50 and 100mpg. If I get to a hill, I can approach the top of the Eco Range or even exceed it if necessary. When coming down hills I can glide (at the bottom of the Eco Range but not recharging). When driving this way, the ICE is running all the time.

Under 48mph, I do P&G by going back and forth between 75% or higher and down to the bottom of the Eco range, but again not recharging.

Using these two techniques, I have been averaging 55-58mpg in the 15- 30 degree weather we've been having using factory recommended tire pressures...can't wait for warmer weather to see how she does.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have an exit ramp that I use every day coming home from work with about a 3 mile, 45 mph flat street where I can usually glide and gain about 0.5 mpg. In order to keep flow with the heavy traffic, I just try to do what the OP is asking and keep the HSI just to the left of the center bar to keep the ICE off as long as possible. I will glide to about 40 mph and then have to ramp back up to 45 and glide some more. I can normally do this about twice during the 3 mile stretch.

Does this help with your question ?

11. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  12. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I cannot maintain speeds over 45 mph by keeping HSI a tad below 50%. The speed gets scrubbed off quite rapidly (I haven't timed it).

I can P&G between 35 and 30 mpg but at speeds above 40, it becomes too disruptive to the traffic to P&G, because of the rapid cycling of the P and the G.

If the NiMH battery pack had higher current capacity and the motor had higher torque at those speeds, then maybe ...

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any problem with hypermilers or people employing hypermiling techniques, as long as they aren't endangering themselves or others and/or hampering the traffic around them.

I think the nature of The Prius Hybrid invites, encourages hypermiling. Sure you can choose to "just drive it" but the technology rewards non-agressive driving. This is definently a Chicken after the egg type of thing. People have developed techniques to apply to the use of the machine. Hanging around this forum I tried employing just a few of the driving techniques of hypermiling to my full ICE Honda and was suprised at how much further I got on a tank of gas. Although I admit, I'm just not disciplined enough to apply those techniques all the time.

I wonder as the technology improves. As we advance to "Plug-In" Prius, and full electrics and other unseen, unknown advancements that make hypermiling less necessary as the efficiency becomes more and more automatic, I think someday we will look back at all the "Hypermiling" techniques early adopters and current drivers were employing and they will seem quaint and strange. So I say (Safely) Pulse and Glide now, because someday you won't have to.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P&G isn't about maintaining speed. Well it is but not in the way you've decribed (which appears to be more like cruising in EV).

It really depends on the speed limit here but I keep it to a 20km/h difference in speed. So for example, if I pulse to 60km/h, I'll glide down to 40km/h (traffic permitting). I will pulse using the HSI to the full ECO area (sometimes into the PWR area again, totally depending on the situation), then I'll let go and glide down (HSI bar nowhere to be seen). If you let go completely, you'll see the HSI go into the CHG area slightly. Lightly press the accelerator and the bar disappears and you have an "empty" HSI indicator. Once I'm done gliding, I repeat the process.

I also try to incorporate the routine of the lights, the terrain of my commute and the daily traffic so yes, a lot of thinking and awareness goes into P&G. You have to gauge the "mood" of the traffic (are people more relaxed that morning or a little more rushed?), then remember all the inclines and declines of your commute as you map it out in your head where to pulse and where to glide. Lastly, remember the timing of your traffic lights (does the 2nd one always go red after the 1st one goes green? If so, can I disguise my P&G by pulsing and gliding to the 2nd red light then pulse when it turns green?).

15. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting. So you don't use the electric motors much (or at all) in the glide part of P&G? Is that akin to a guy with regular ICE car doing P&G by shifting into neutral to glide?

How many seconds does it take for the speed to scrub down from 60 kph to 40 kph on level roads?

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is already happening. My GenIII beats its EPA rating by less than its nonhybrid predecessors, mainly because some of the savings I could achieve on the old ones is automatically harvested by the Prius and rolled into its EPA sticker. Of course, this is a very good thing.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, that's why it's called gliding. If you're coasting (like a regular automatic car), then you have your foot completely off the accelerator. Yeah, I'd say gliding is akin to shifting into neutral in a regular car. I prefer to coast and keep it in gear. Toyotas tend to coast a lot longer than other cars (i.e. less drag from the transmission).

Really depends on the road. A slight decline can maintain your speed (that's how you learn the terrain of your commute cause what you thought was flat may not be so flat).

Also, depends on tyre pressures. I can glide a lot longer on higher pressures. I run 38/36 on my stock Bridgestone Ecopias (might try 40/38 this summer) and I'm running 42/40 on my winter tyres (corrected at 20°C)

18. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We don't have to now. For me, it's purely a game. And with the new EV and PHEV cars right around the corner, this is all speculation but behaps P & G will still be a game. We will pulse our EV cars up to speed and glide back down, just like we do now, but with the objective of getting 125 mile range out of a charge instead of the advertised 100 miles by cars like the Nissan Leaf.
    Just a thought....

19. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Correct and exactly. Every time you draw from the pack, you are using energy that was captured from the ICE burning gas or from regen of momentum (momentum created by burning gas). Each conversion of energy is less than 100% efficient. So while the pack helps us recover significant energy wasted in non-hybrids, its use takes us further from the theoretical efficiency of the vehicle. It also allows more total power when needed, so the ICE is smaller than a non-hybrid with the same total power, which is fantastic.

So use the pack, but don't over use it. When you can P&G, glide is ideally without amps from the pack.

20. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you are getting that kind of difference I can guarantee one thing. You are driving every other driver on the road around you nuts.