1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pump Noise Has Changed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ratlady, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ratlady

ratlady New Member

I purchased a 2007 Prius Touring model last March. It has a little over 11K miles on it. I'm sorry, but I don't know the name of the pump that is the problem -- it's the one that runs just after you power on, before the gas engine starts, and also runs for a few seconds after power off -- for the past month or so, it seems to have a higher pitched sound... sort of like it's grinding or something. We took it in to Toyota and they said they couldn't hear any unusual sounds. My husband suggested I post on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

THANKS!
    Audrey

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're talking about the coolant pump for the thermos that stores the hot engine coolant then pumps it back in at start up to warm the heads to help reduce emissions.

In warm weather or after the pump has warmed up (like when the engine has been running for a while) the pump is just nice high pitched hum. In cold weather the pump seems kind of sluggish, it's louder, higher pitched, seems to stutter and also seems to run a bit longer. You'll usually only notice this with the cold starts.

It's usually normal for it to be louder...there have been a few cases where the pump needed to be replaced however and if the noise becomes excessively loud or if the pump stops working completely you should see your dealer about getting it replaced. But most likely what you're hearing is normal.

3. biphnest

biphnest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Audrey -

Search this forum for "Coolant Transfer Pump". There are several informative postings related to these pumps becoming noisy over time.

My 2006 Prius coolant transfer pump went from making a normal "smooth running motor" sound to a making a loud erratic squeaking sound starting at about 18,000 miles. The squeaking noise grew louder and louder until I took the car in at 21,000 miles.

Since the noise only occurs at cold start-up and then only for a few moments It is apparently difficult for the mechanic to identify the source and diagnosed the problem. My dealer finally correctly diagnosed the problem as a bad coolant transfer pump and replaced it under warranty.

The replacement pump completely eliminated the squeaking sound. My car now has 30,000 miles and the squeaking noise has not returned.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My own pump sounds pretty horrendous in cold weather too, but still
    appears to work fine ... if that's any comfort. Sometimes when it's
    *really* cold it *doesn't* run at startup, which is somewhat
    mysterious but was a decision made by the computer, not the pump
    itself. Probably because the stored coolant has lost enough heat
    so it's not all that useful, so I get a stone-cold startup anyways.
    _H*

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My coolant transfer pump started making a different noise right about the same mileage noted by the OP. Also, the weather got colder at the same time which has been noted as a factor by others.

It sounds like something out of a bad 50's sci fi movie. There is a recording that someone posted in another thread, and mine sounds exactly like his. Usually it only makes the sound on first startup after not driving for a few hours. I have heard it one time on shutdown, though.

I'm just going to keep an ear out for it for now.

6. ratlady

ratlady New Member

Well... we just heard back from the dealership and I am NOT happy with their response! Everyone needs to be aware of this problem! The master tech immediately knew that the coolant transfer pump was the problem because he's seen it before... however, Toyota's stance is that they won't replace it until it completely fails (which will most likely be AFTER the warranty has expired!). I plan to write a letter to them -- if this is a KNOWN problem, they need to issue a bulletin and address it instead of making people wait until it's not covered and then having to bear the expense themselves. Toyota should stand by their product!!!

THANKS to those who answered my original post!
    Audrey

7. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ratlady @ Nov 13 2007, 08:58 AM) [snapback]538894[/snapback]</div>
    Did they give you a price for replacement after it goes out of warranty? I am thinking of buying the Extended Warranty (~$990 for 7 yr/100K) to cover this repair and any others. You can buy the warranty any time prior to the expiration of the 3 yr/36K standard warranty.

8. ratlady

ratlady New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Nov 13 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]538908[/snapback]</div>
    He said he would give that to us when we pick it up. I plan to create a paper trail documenting that this was a known problem BEFORE the warranty expired in case I need to argue with them in the future. My thinking is that I shouldn't have to buy an extended warranty to cover a problem that they know about! I'll post the projected price whenever I get it.

Audrey

9. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ratlady @ Nov 13 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]538894[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. I've been following threads on noisy coolant transfer pumps ever since mine started to make disturbing noises* about two months ago. I haven't read about anyone getting the sort of runaround you are getting. Could the way you were treated reflect your dealer's approach to warranty repairs rather than a corporate policy?

By way of contrast, I paid a visit to my dealership last week so they could listen to the noise. The service manager heard it, and immediately ordered a pump. I'm bring the car back tomorrow to have the new pump installed.

*Do a search for the file pump.wav. That's exactly how my car sounds when starting from cold.

10. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JayGoldstein @ Nov 13 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]539104[/snapback]</div>
    Couldn't find that file on PriusChat (also tried pump.wmv). But I'm pretty sure it's what I've been hearing lately. Have about 16K on the car and the weather got cool and it started making the noise after the car was turned off (and the engine relatively warm). I think I'll wait until the next oil change to bring it up with the dealer when the weather will be even colder (I'm about halfway thru the full warranty, so I have some time yet).

Thanks for helping me identify this problem! :D

11. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 13 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]539112[/snapback]</div>
    The correct file name is pump-1.wav. Here it is:
    [attachmentid=12461]

Attached Files:

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe its Morse Code?

The pump is trying to communicate by Morse Code. :lol:

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, that's different from mine, and definitely sounds like shot
    bearings. Wow.
    N.b: when recording noises around the car, turn off things like
    the A/C that would only interfere with the noise in question..
    _H*

14. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have given credit to biphnest, another forum member, for originally posting the .wav file. The thread is: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=38716&hl=pump

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 13 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]539152[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that one does sound different than mine. Mine cuts in and out, but not that frequently, and is a bit higher pitched/louder than the normal pump action.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 12 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]538723[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't there still be coolant in the thermos that would be needed by the system, cold or not?

16. ratlady

ratlady New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JayGoldstein @ Nov 13 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]539104[/snapback]</div>
    The price quote they gave us, just in case we have to replace it after the warranty runs out, was $125 for pump + $100 for labor = $225!!!!! He could tell we were upset, but it didn't seem to bother him. He just said "we haven't ever had to replace any, sometimes they make different noise and then sometimes it just stops".

You can bet that if we have to have it done "after the warranty", I'll be raising a stink!!!

Audrey

17. biphnest

biphnest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd argue that the pump is designed to:

1) pump coolant

2) run quietly.

If the pump stops pumping coolant then it has failed and should be replaced. If the pump starts running excessively loud then it has failed and should be replaced.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, if the pump is indeed pumping coolant, then it's doing its job. ours tends to get louder when it's cold outside, but DH has done active tests on the thing and it works just fine. just a little noisier in the cold.

19. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 13 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]539283[/snapback]</div>

Can DH decipher the morse code signal that mine is sending? I think its saying "My bearings are bad, my bearings are bad" :lol:

20. HOVer

HOVer New Member

Just hit 30K miles and now that it's relatively cooler in LA, my coolant pump has just started to make 'the noise'.

So much for the stealthy startup...