1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pumping/growling noise & vibration- driver's side front left floor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Natalie - Prius 2, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Natalie - Prius 2

Natalie - Prius 2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My son just changed my oil, radiator fluid & tranmission fluid on my 2007 Prius with 125,000 miles. Now it makes a fairly quiet, intermittent pumping or quiet growling/humming noise. A vibration can be felt near the driver's left foot when the noise is heard. The noise starts about a minute or two after starting the car & goes on & off, about every 30 seconds, for the entire time the car is running or driving. The car seems to drive normally, although I've only driven it a few miles, a few times. The only unusual dash light is the "maintenance required" indicator which has been on since before the fluid changes.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only device of consequence in that area is the brake abs unit. If it has sprung a leak it will turn on the brake vacuum assist motor constantly which I am sure you have heard a million times it sounds like a rattlesnake. You can make that pump come on by pumping the brakes a few times. If its running constantly that means the ABS unit is leaking. That usually always throws a Master Caution Alarm on the dash though and the brakes feel really bad. I hope its not that is its expensive but it not throwing any dash alarms tells me it may be something simpler. But the fact that you can feel it on the floorboard has me worried.
    The car is very good about throwing alarms on the dash when it is not happy. Hope it does not throw a big red explanation mark on the dash.
    Have never heard this before.

What does son say any problems he encountered?

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does your son have the tools and experience to change the engine coolant? If he didn't bleed the system correctly, and it's quite difficult to do so, air in the system will cause a pump near your left foot to cavitate, but only on cold start up and shutdown, not constantly like you describe. Still, you want to keep checking the radiator coolant level for a week or so. And make sure you cabin heat works okay. If you can hear gurgling in the dashboard, that's air in the system.. If it needs to be bled, there are threads on the topic on this site, and Youtube videos. Keep a close eye on that--low coolant will damage the engine.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah thats a good one Andrew I forgot about the CHRS pump. I foolishly the first time I tried replacing the engine coolant dumped the whole thing....the rad...the engine...and then spent hours trying to get the air out and I had a highlift evac. That's when I discovered the joy of the CHRS pump & storage bottle.
    Never going near that again.
    I have found that if you dump just the rad a few times over a month it will do a real good job of updating the engine coolant and not invoke dreaded airlock. The engine is pretty easy on the coolant.

Conversely the Inverter huge cross section of aluminum is very hard on the Inverter coolant. That fluid gets contaminated pretty quick when on the original fluid during Inverter break in. But the changes after that initial break in have looked real good.

Just like the trans.The original fluid in the trans takes a beating during break in but afte that it looks pretty nice. I change the Trans and Invert coolant every 35K....now only have to do 50K as the last 35k looked real good on both.

5. Natalie - Prius 2

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much for your replies! Here's the update.. The pumping sound (or sounds like it's trying to pump something but can't sound) started happening more often - every 5 seconds & the Master Warning Light came on, along with other warning lights. I shut the car off within 60 seconds. It is 100F degrees here today. Other than the sound ( & teeny vibration from it) , the car starts, drives, & brakes completely normally.

We think it's probably air in the radiator system, so we'll look into that first.

& no, my son works on his motorcycles, not cars. ..& he left town after changing the fluids, so my daughter & I are trying to sort out the problem...

6. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It may be the inverter pump then, though that kind of noise is unusual. The inverter pump is right behind the left headlight.

There are two radiator systems on the Prius, one for the engine and one for the hybrid inverter. Before you drive the car again, check the fluid level in the translucent reservoir near the firewall, towards the driver's side. Remove the cap and look inside with a light. If you can see the reddish coolant, turn the ignition on/engine off by pushing the start button twice with your foot off the brake. You should be able to see a small flow in the coolant, and hear a very slight hum from the nearby pump, much like an aquarium pump.

If there are any problems with this system, don't drive the car.

7. Natalie - Prius 2

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I figured out the problem - My son drained the inverter fluid accidentally, but then erroneously thought that he had drained some of the radiator fluid.... So yeah... The inverter fluid pump was trying to pump fluid that wasn't there... I added fluid & have topped it off a couple times, after each time that I drove the car. No more inverter fluid pump noises.

It doesn't seem that anything was damaged, I hope. Now I just need to search for how to turn off the Master Warning Light, the engine light, & the warning light on the touchscreen..

Thanks again for everyone's responses. :)

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bad news, the inverter pump could be fried, thus not making noise.

Reset the car by plugging the 12v negative for a minute. If your lights return, then you would need to check the codes

9. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There's an air bleeding process that should be performed when inverter coolant is drained (see Youtube). The system, though full of coolant, may be air locked. If you don't see the coolant flow and hear the pump hum as mentioned in post #6, the system is broken and don't drive the car.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It never occurred to me the Inverter coolant pump was so unhappy you could feel it in the car. Surprised it didn't take out its fuse. Never heard this before 10 years on this forum.

The fact that it was running dry mostly likely damaged the pump exactly like JC said. This pump is vital to the car and the car will die if the pump fails as the Inverter will overheat so badly it shuts itself off. It also overheats the transmission as it cools that also.You could damage the Inverter. This pump is not to be messed with in a G2 Prius. Its not expensive to replace and I would get it replaced asap and the coolant properly installed and bled.

11. Natalie - Prius 2

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update - I've added coolant ( ~ 1/2 - 3/4 cup ) before driving my car, to bring it to the full line on the reservoir, for a total of 3 top offs. It's remained at the full line the last 2 times that I've checked it. No noise from the inverter fluid pump since the reservoir was first filled. The fluid is now pink (while the new fluid is clear) so there must have been some fluid left in there/it wasn't completely dry. Both, the master warning light & check engine lights, have gone off since the fluid has remained steady at the full line. The fluid quivers/vibrates, in the reservoir, when the car is running, so the pump seems to be working.

FYI - I diagnosed the problem by searching engine diagrams until I saw that the pump was near the driver's left foot (the location of the noise & tiny vibration) & then figured out that I needed to check the fluid, which I had never done...

Also, even though I did drive the car without or with little fluid, I drove it only a couple miles at a time & very cautiously/not over 35mph, while keeping an keen eye & ear out for warning lights, etc. ...& was lucky..

On a funny note - When I walked into the auto parts store to purchase fluid, I asked each employee, in turn, to direct me to the proper fluid... & each one asked, "What's an inverter?". Haha.

Thank you again for all your responses. This is a great forum! ..& y'all are awesome!

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have the wrong fluid in it. It requires Toyota SLLC. And the pump is no wheres near your foot. Its behind the drivers side headlight.

13. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, you have another project. Drain whatever you put in from the parts store, as soon as possible, and refill with the right stuff ($40 from Toyota). And learn how to bleed it properly, which requires a couple of small wrenches and a short length of tubing.

And you'd better get a new pump in while it's drained. There's no way the pump was not harmed by running dry. This is one of more important things you can do for the reliability and long term health of your car.

You may want to post what fluid you put in, if you want feedback on that. Hopefully it's not too harmful to the aluminum inverter, the transaxle, or the radiator. Two of those are very expensive parts.

edthefox5 likes this.