1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pumping?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by barbaram, Sep 8, 2006.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I switched gas stations and my last 4 tank calculated a bit over 50 MPG. Here in NJ we do NOT pump our own gas- and the attendant would just cut of the pump when it stopped automatically.

however the other night I stopped at another station an he forced more gas in after the pump hit automatic stop .. calculated mileage only 36 MPG!!!!!

wondering how much gas can be added after the pump hits the first auto stop........temp was in the 60's

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are many, many posts about this. It all depends on temperature, lot angle, phase of the moon, and sacrificing small animals. There is no set answer, but you can force a significant amount in after the click; not that you should. Don't worry about mpg based on single tank calculations. Use the MFD, or running calculations based on many tanks.

Tom

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It all comes down to the pump being used... Some pumps click off early (meaning you can pump a lot more in), others click off later (you can pump little to nothing in), and yet others have been known to click off late (meaning over flow), however those generally are fixed/replaced.

In generally, you shouldn't top off (hard to do if you legally can't be the one pumping...). Every time gas gets burped out of the bladder, you not only release more polution than the car will on the entire tank of gas, but you risk fouoling up some systems that are rather expensive to replace... it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull in and just say "don't top off please".

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 8 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]316262[/snapback]</div>
    Easy to do. Just get them to fill a gas can. Then pour it in yourself to top off. I used to have to do it regularly with my diesel when I had to mix in gasoline and or kerosene and the gas station wouldn't do it, back in the days before they had auto-diesel fuel.

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was late and before I could stop the guy , he was topping it off- next time I'll have to get out and make sure he doesn't do it!

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Sep 8 2006, 04:38 AM) [snapback]316224[/snapback]</div>
    Do you remember what your MFD was saying? He shouldn't have added that much. The attendants at the station I go to will take it up to the next 25 or 50 cent increment, adding no more than 1/4 gallon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Sep 8 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]316248[/snapback]</div>
    It wasn't her choice. We're not allowed to pump our own gas in NJ. The attendant did it on his own.

8. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Sep 8 2006, 04:38 AM) [snapback]316224[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry you will get those miles back. At the next fill-up if you stop pumping at the first auto stop I'll bet you will be above 55 mpg for that tank. Of course all this is false since your Prius is just merrily sipping the gas at the same rate it always does and probably laughing at the strange ways of humans.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow... if I lived in New Jersey, every time I bought gas and the attendant topped off the tank, I would replace the charcoal canister and bill the station.

How the HELL can they still be doing this in New Jersey?

Nate

10. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 10 2006, 06:38 AM) [snapback]317281[/snapback]</div>
    That is unfortunate; however, it doesn't change my statement: you shouldn't top off.

11. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Sep 11 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]317653[/snapback]</div>
    A BOX of rocks maybe shouldn't top off :unsure: ,Ive been doing it all my life and MAYBE, I've spilled/overflowed a drop or two,nothing that would require any clean up. All of my previous vehicles have taken quite a bit of fuel to fill up, however this 2006 prius is the only car that when is shuts off, your hell bent in getting hardly any additional fuel. So far, and I have only fueled up 3 times { only 1000 miles on the car} and after 2 additional clicks on the pump and its filled up to the gills.....
    Since I'm seeing this pattern 3 times in a row I'll probably jut let it go after it shuts off the first time... B)

12. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Sep 11 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]317653[/snapback]</div>
    Superficially, that's easy to say. Sometimes it's harder in practice. One station I visit has absurdly sensitive pumps which will sometimes just click off if you're fueling too fast. Is it "topping off" to continue filling my Prius after I've pumped six gallons into a tank that had only two in it when I started? I think not. On the other hand, at my last fueling, I was especially careful to pump slowly, as I'd read that this is best with the Prius. Without the pump ever having clicked off, I started hearing a strange sound, something like a combined creaking-gurgling. Sure enough, gas was already squirting from between the nozzle and the filler hole seal. Of course, I got the full-force gusher when I gingerly pulled the hose out. I was ready for it, and slapped the cap on quickly, but it still left about a three foot diameter stain of fuel on the ground around my tire. What a smelly mess. Again, this happened with no click-off of the pump.

Prius owners need to understand that the car simply has a quirky fuel storage system. Click-off usually, but not necessarily, happens when it's "full enough." If the pump clicks off way early, well sure, keep fueling. But at all times, it bears watching.

13. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

14. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oregon, like New Jersey, is farsighted and does not make its citizens handle dangerous, flamable fluids, or pay exorbitant prices for full service. All our gas stations are full service, and staffed by operators trained (LOL) in handling dangerous fluids.

I know, everybody in the other 48 states loves the smell of gasoline on their hands.

15. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 06 with 1500 miles on the odo and I have only filled her up 3 times but I can add another 2-3 dollars worth of fuel after shut off. Should I? No one knows for sure. In all the cars I have owned I always topped off... and have yet to replace a charcoal filter.They all still pass smog easily but this is the first car I have owned with a blatter! We'll see.
    -Paul R. Haller-