1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Punctured Trunk Seal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Beast1, May 16, 2023.

1. The Beast1

The Beast1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I punctured the trunk seal when replacing the lid pistons. The hook tool I was using slipped and cut through the rubber gasket. There's a hole clean through it.

Needless to say, I'm beside myself. Just bought this car too. Figure replacement is yank out the old and press in a replacement using trim tools.i might have the Misses spray water to see if it leaks and maybe postpone fixing it since I live in socal.

Nat a complaint or question, just wanted to vent for my screw up. Feelsbadman

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I'm at the junkyard which seems to be right regularly these days I see these cars all the time and great condition yanking a rear hat seal off of one of these takes a whopping 40 seconds even being careful not to damage it then I just wipe it down with some kind of cleaner clean it wipe it down with some kind of rubber protectant lay it out flat on a warm day let it get nice and pliable clean the lip where I'm installing it and I mean really clean the lip well because most people don't then put the new to me gasket down on the lip maybe add a tad of silicone or glue in the corner where the radiuses are so it helps to hold it down flat no need to glue the whole thing down let it stand there 20 minutes come back out close the trunk and let it rip to be honest I doubt the little hole you put with the hook tool is going to cause you any strife You could put a dab of silicone over the hole let that skin and dry before you close the trunk and you should be good to go to be honest about it.

The Beast1 likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I once fixed same sort of issue by smearing silicone sealant on the damaged area....worked for my 1979 Datsun 210

Tombukt2 likes this.
  4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds about right to me. It is just a big piece of rubber so anything that can glue it back together or fill a small hole will work.

Rear Hatch Door seal repair | PriusChat

5. The Beast1

The Beast1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for the tips. I will try and just sealing it with some gasket sealer.