1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchase advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FlyFamily1, Nov 2, 2007.

1. FlyFamily1

FlyFamily1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First off, I apologize if this is a repeat. I have not found much in the way of answers using the search feature, but that could be me.

I am interested in purchasing a Prius, so I was hoping I could get some advice from current owners. My main hangup at this point is determining what options package to go with, but I also have some questions about materials quality:

1) How has the cloth interior held up in the prius? Is leather any better or worse?
    2) Has anyone with kids (or not) had issues with items being put into what I think is the battery vent on the right rear passenger seat? Is it difficult to get at and clean?
    3) How has the plastic on the dash held up? Has there been any changes to the plastics from the different model years?
    4) Does the Navigation feature such information as current heading, current speed, time to destination and arrival time? I followed one link that sent me to a video for the Camry, but it wasn't very detailed.
    5) I had the opportunity to test drive a coworker's Prius and have a question about the braking. When I step on the brakes, it feels to me like I am engaging the brake pads, but it seems from discussions on this board that it is the engine doing the braking, and that the brake pads don't come into play unless you really step on the brake pedal. At what point do the pads come into play?
    6) Would the larger wheels of a Touring help or hurt mileage? My thinking is that a larger diameter wheel would be a hindrance to starting (but that is largely from the electric engine, correct?), but would provide better mileage overall. However, I wonder if the excess weight of the larger wheels would offset this.
    7) Any advice on the pros/cons of HID? Are they a lot less durable then Halogen?

Newbie question...What does DH stand for? I've seen it in several posts, but cannot make it out for certain. Something Hybrid I suppose, referring to a technician?

Thanks for reading. I would appreciate any information that can help me decide from the many choices.
    If it helps, I live in the Bay Area of California, and am currently commuting about 24 miles each way.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Over 4 years on my cloth and it's holding up very well...despite my 3 kids' best efforts to destroy it! I don't have leather in the Prius but our Highlander Hybrid has leather and it also is nice.

3 kids, never had one put anything in that vent (that I know of). Would not be very easy to get in to clean, but the slots are small and it would probably be better to just leave whatever it is in there unless it's valuable.

Yes, the dash material changed in the '06 MY. It seems to hold up well though there have been some issues with the upper glove box deforming apparently due to the heat. Not sure if that's been addressed in later models or not.
    Of those it only shows a calculated time to arrival (minutes and hours) but that's based upon default settings for highway/city speed. Current heading...there is a compass needle, but no numeric readout.

Rapid or firm braking will cause the regenerative braking (done by MG2 (electric motor generator, not the engine) to kick out as will hitting hard bumps (for traction control reasons). Otherwise with moderate or lighter braking you'll be on regenerative braking exclusively until you get to 7mph or slower when it's pure friction braking.
    In theory the FE should be a bit lower, but it doesn't seem to be a dramatic impact.
    While starting can be done by the electric alone it's more efficient to have the ICE work with the electric when accelerating.
    I think they do have a little shorter life expectancy and a few folks have burned them out if they use them all the time day and night. I use mine only at night (and dim/bad weather of course), have 67k miles and they're still going strong. They are very expensive to replace if they do go bad. But they give off great light for driving and I'd recommend them though I wouldn't go to a higher package if that was the only thing making you consider the higher package.

DH= Dear Hubby or Darling Hubby or some such

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excellent info from the Doc (as always). Just a couple of additional comments.

I have the cloth interior. My only complaint is the seemingly flimsy cloth on the door armrests. I routinely rest my left elbow on the armrest, and after less than two years it's showing some subtle signs of wear. Good thing is that there are options for a DIY replacement/fortification job described elsewhere on PriusChat.

In addition to the dash material changing in 06, the dash texture changed too. Frankly, I wish mine had the newer dash. The 05 has a smooth surface that smudges and scuffs easily; the later models have a textured surface that would seem to resist -- or at least hide -- such marks better.

I don't have the HID lights or NAV -- and I don't regret for a minute not buying them. I've never used either, so I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe I'd have a different view if I had. But I don't want the replacement expense of the HIDs. I have a pretty good sense of direction and I know how to navigate with paper maps. Some forum participants seem to think an aftermarket GPS device like Garmin or Tom-Tom is just as good (maybe better), and it's considerably less expensive and movable between vehicles. One of these days I might break down and get one.

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Nov 2 2007, 04:42 AM) [snapback]533788[/snapback]</div>
    I'm one of the few that frequently use Nav even on my normal commuting trips (I've had Nav in my last few vehicles). I typically use it for an ETA on when I'll arrive (approximately of course) and how many miles I have left. In addition I frequently use the detour option. In fact yesterday I used it on the way home. I decided to take a slightly different route because I had to pick up a prescription and the road was backed up at least a mile. In the Phoenix area there's tons of cul-de-sacs and deadend roads going through neighborhoods (most streets don't go through). I quickly hit the route button, hit detour, tapped on the "1 mile" button (representing the amount of detour), it then had me make the next turn and zig zagged me through the neighborhood and ultimately had me come out the opposite end of the back up. :)

Mike

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 1 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]533743[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that on the '06 and newer models, the actual estimated time of arrival is shown instead of travel time to destination. Also, it is possible to adjust the presumed city/highway speed settings that are the basis for the arrival/travel time calculation.

6. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fly Family @ Nov 1 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]533737[/snapback]</div>
    Just a comment on the Touring version. I went in thinking the Touring would be nice as the handling would be a little closer to the SLK I've been driving for the last nine years. But after driving both I found the Touring just had all the bumps and none of the sportscar. I ended up liking the ride of the regular version a lot more. Also since I was wanting one with leather, the suspension/wheels was the only difference between them.

A personal preference thing of course, but be sure to test-drive *both* versions before making a decision.

Z.

7. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I actually did get a higher option package primarily to get the HID headlights, and I love them. I do a lot of night driving on roads with zero streetlights and they do a great job. It is worth the extra money to me because they are a safety feature that helps every day - unlike seatbelts and airbags that help you if there is an accident, they can help you avoid the accident in the first place.

As part of the same option package I got the auto-dimming rear view mirror, which I didn't much care about at first but now I love that too - it is better than a regular "flip" mirror at reducing glare from the headlights behind you. You can have a giant SUV behind you with the high beams on and they won't bother you at all with that mirror.

8. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fly Family @ Nov 2 2007, 01:58 AM) [snapback]533737[/snapback]</div>
    First, let me give a disclaimer -- I have an '07 Camry Hybrid w/ NAV, so YMMV or more accurately: YPMV -- Your Prius May Vary. B) )

On the '07 NAV system/disk, you can:
    • easily and quickly shift between seeing ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) and Estimated Remaining Time.
    • Select having the map orientation set as either North up or Direction of Travel up. (And you can set up a "Split Display" where you can display two maps, side by side. I use this feature, and have the left map set at .5 mile scale and right map at 300 ft scale.) With Split Display mode, you can set map orientation individually.
    • You cannot see GPS speed on the NAV display, you have to go into a "Maintenance" window and I don't know if that ability has been removed on '08's.
    I hope this information helped.

9. mldoc

mldoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fly Family @ Nov 2 2007, 01:58 AM) [snapback]533737[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the outside diameter of the tires on the standard are slightly (0.02") greater than on the Touring version. The size difference is the wheel used, but the two have different sidewall profiles. While this should have a minimal impact on FE, it will give a firmer ride, IIRC.

10. FlyFamily1

FlyFamily1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Excellent information folks. Thanks a bunch.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the vent yet, so I suppose it is a non-issue.

I think I have at least made one decision. I am going to pass on the touring and focus on the base model. A few more questions please...

1) I need to learn more about the GPS. My wife has a portable GPS, so I am not sure I really need the built in one, except that it is really hard to mount the portable somewhere. Is there an online (PDF) version of the manual?

2) Is the alarm that comes with package #3 any good? Is it a motion alarm (goes off if someone bumps the car)? I don't know much about car alarms.

3) I went to the dealership to see the difference between the HIDs and standard lights. It was a bit difficult to see on the lot, because it was too well lit. I could tell that the light was whiter. Does the HID lights provide a wider field of view? We ran out of time to test drive.

4) I know this is largely a personal preference question, but what are your thoughts on comfort for longer drives? I know about the seat not being very adjustable and the steering wheel not telescoping. It seems the armrest padding is very thin.

5) The cloth around the armrests and center console look like they'd be prone to tearing. I can also tell that the interior is going to get scratched up. The ones that I see on the dealer lots show this. I tend to keep cars until they fall apart (15+ years). Do you think the interior will hold up this long? I know this is sort of a repeat question, but I'd like to get more input on the matter.

Thanks again for your time and information. It seems I can never get much information from a dealer. Many just don't have a clue.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 Prius package 1 with side curtain airbags. Black with ivory fabric interior.

1) How has the cloth interior held up in the prius? Is leather any better or worse?

The cloth has held up well. It cleans so well in fact I don't think I'll go back to leather. Leather was always hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

2) Has anyone with kids (or not) had issues with items being put into what I think is the battery vent on the right rear passenger seat? Is it difficult to get at and clean?

No comment. No kids.

3) How has the plastic on the dash held up? Has there been any changes to the plastics from the different model years?

I have my dash covered with a dashmat on top. I have leather covers for the upper and lower glove compartments and the area around the steering wheel by "Priushoods" on eBay. She's Robin on Priuschat.

4) Does the Navigation feature such information as current heading, current speed, time to destination and arrival time? I followed one link that sent me to a video for the Camry, but it wasn't very detailed.

Sorry, don't have Nav.

5) I had the opportunity to test drive a coworker's Prius and have a question about the braking. When I step on the brakes, it feels to me like I am engaging the brake pads, but it seems from discussions on this board that it is the engine doing the braking, and that the brake pads don't come into play unless you really step on the brake pedal. At what point do the pads come into play?

I'll let someone with more technical experience answer this one. All I can say is the brakes work great and the car stops just fine. And regenerates the battery when it does.

6) Would the larger wheels of a Touring help or hurt mileage? My thinking is that a larger diameter wheel would be a hindrance to starting (but that is largely from the electric engine, correct?), but would provide better mileage overall. However, I wonder if the excess weight of the larger wheels would offset this.

You take a mileage hit but not that much. You'll still get much better mileage than an average ICE car.

7) Any advice on the pros/cons of HID? Are they a lot less durable then Halogen?

A few people have experienced theft in certain areas.

12. FlyFamily1

FlyFamily1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another question...I thought I read on a post somewhere here that a smog check was not required for the Prius. Is this true for California?

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, so I need plenty of leg room. It's adequate in the Prius. My only complaint is the lack of thigh support, which probably would be better if the seat bottom had an adjustment. (My fiancee's Corolla has a simple mechanical adjustment -- why can't the Prius? But I digress.) I have an Obus Forme Seat, which seems to help. I've done a 2000 mile round trip, splitting each segment into 2+ days (not sure I could do 1000 miles a day in any vehicle), and as long as I took a break every hour or two, I was fine.

If you do a lot of long distance driving, especially if you have a large frame, you might consider renting one for a day or two and take it on the road to get a good sense of how well it will do for you.

WRT the interior's durability, it's impossible to say how well it will hold up for 15+ years. The seat fabric seems of very high quality, the armrest and console covers less so, as we've discussed. There's a lot of plastic around the dash (to save weight, I'm told), so who knows how well that will do.

I'm guessing that UV light accelerates deterioration of interior fabric. I've added tint to the windows to keep the car cooler in the summer and for a bit more privacy. The extent to which it helps preserve the fabric is a bonus.

14. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mldoc @ Nov 2 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]534141[/snapback]</div>
    My impression (after a relatively brief test ride) is that changing tires to 195/60s as done by many members of this group, made a much bigger difference in handling than the difference between the Touring and regular models. As mentioned above, the big difference in the Touring seemed to be that I could feel more bumps in the road.

The real brakes come on at below 7 mph, or during hard braking, such as panic stops.

At low speeds, eg. , 20 mph, they feel a little grabby during sudden stops. I recently got slammed against the seat belt recently when I had to do an emergency stop. . . but I did stop.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No smog check in California, at least for five years or something like that. When they first came out, I think they didn't know how to do smog tests on the car and are working at making it exempt or something. I'm not worried about it until I get a notice with my registration that it's time to smog it.

Armrests and console. These are a different material than the cloth and do soil easily and do not wear well. I have after market leather console and armrest covers I bought. On my next Prius, what I will do is take it to an Auto Upholstery shop and have them cover just the armrests and center console in leather. I'll keep the fabric seats fabric.

16. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Quote "1) I need to learn more about the GPS. My wife has a portable GPS, so I am not sure I really need the built in one, except that it is really hard to mount the portable somewhere. Is there an online (PDF) version of the manual?"

Guess this only applies to certain portable GPS units but we have travelled on a 10500 mile trip with our portable Garmin 2620 sitting in it's bean bag type holder on the sloping dash without it sliding even when hard braking. It could, however, become a missile in a serious collision. We keep it clear of the airbag area.
    Gary

17. FlyFamily1

FlyFamily1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks again for everyone's input. I spent a lot of time at the dealer playing around with the options (as well as researching online). This could have been a bad thing, because in the end, I couldn't resist the toys. I ended up getting package #6. I love the NAV. It does several things much better than my wife's TOM-TOM. Some of the limitations of the speed lockout can be overcome with voice commands. The bluetooth is fantastic and clear. The HID headlights I am not so sure about. They may be adjusted too low. Great visibility up close, but there is a definite cutoff line where visibility above it is not very good. I felt more comfortable with the leather seats, and it was a unanimous vote from the family. The antenna is much better than my previous car. I can go on and on.

I have not succeeded with deadbanding yet, but I'm working on it.

Thanks to the forum for great information!

18. JenGwen323

JenGwen323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I love the Nav system. I have a GREAT sense of direction, but i still use it often. It's great for looking up places I want to go, but don't know where the closest is, for example Taco Bell...I can look it up and it will tell me where they ALL are. So handy.

I also love the leather seats. Love the Bluetooth. The package 6 is totally worth every penny.

Best Wishes!

19. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  20. FlyFamily1

FlyFamily1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Nov 10 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]537842[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the link! This is better than the manual.