1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchase contract add-ons

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Dion, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This seems like the best place to ask this question.
    I placed my order in November, was promised February, but now told april. So I really don't know when or if I will get one.
    Anyway, here's my question. I left a deposit, but the contact lists $100 dollars for etching and $300 for documentation fees. I do not plan on paying these fees and told the salesman that at the time. He said don't worry you won't have to. Has anyone else paid these fees when purchasing? Just curious? Isn't sticker price enough for the dealer?
    Maybe I am naive. I'm not a smart car salesman.

2. cybele

cybele New Member

A fee for documentation is normal - I think I paid about $50. It covers the dealerships costs for doing your DMV filings for you and is not worth $300. Tell them that you're willing to pay $50 (and be willing to settle for $75 if it's worth it to not go stand in line at the DMV or AAA) and don't budge.

As for the "etching", it's something they'll do pre-delivery, so make it clear now that you did not order it and will not accept it. You lose your bargaining position once the car is on the lot becuase they will have performed it and will expect you to pay for it.

Send them a letter outlining both these things. If possible, get them to sign something (an amended agreement?) that states that.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From www.carbuyingtips.com

Scam #1: The "VIN# Window Etching" Scam

How the scam works: Dealers slip in a $300-$900 fee for window etching, saying that you won't get the loan without it, as "the bank requires it". You can order the same do it yourself kit used by car dealers online from CarEtch.com for $29. Some dealers may may tell you the VIN etch was free, yet they still padded your monthly payment with the fee. Some dealers claim it will pay your deductible if the car is stolen. So why do you have to pay $400 to avoid paying a $500 deductible? What a scam!

Ever since dealers sold the first chariot in Roman times, they have come up with ways to sell you the most overpriced option. In the 80's it was Scotch Guard for $400 that you can do with 2 cans of Scotch Guard for $10 at Kmart. Then there was the $800 "AutoArmor" that claimed you never have to wax your car again. They still do the $1800 alarm that they paid $100 for, including installation. They sell you these options at maximum rip-off prices, and it often costs them next to nothing to farm out the work. Let's analyze the stupidity factor on this Window Etching scam. Dealers lie and tell you of huge savings on your car insurance. Most people email us to say their insurance company has no idea what they are talking about, so no discount. The buyers who do get discounts get a $6 savings off the theft portion of their car insurance. It's a legitimate product, but it's not worth more than $40.

How to avoid the scam: Have it removed from your papers. If they say it's free, tell them to put it in writing. If they say it's already on the car and can't be removed, don't buy the car, and save yourself $300-$900. You can get your own VIN etching kit cheaper online. The VINetcher Do-It-Yourself VIN Etching Kit is only $19.95. Remember, lenders don't require you to buy useless extras. The only thing a lender requires you to do is pay back the loan. Some police departments will do VIN etching for you for free as a community service.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

If the salesman sincerely believed you wouldn't have to pay those fees, then I wonder why he didn't simply scratch those fees off the contract and place his initials in the appropriate places.

As Cybele indicated, it might be a good idea to return to the dealer and request they amend the contract before they call you and tell you your car has arrived.