1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchase of New Toyota-Supplied HV Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jimolson, Nov 11, 2022.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm an Indiana electrical engineer with a lot of mech skills and tools. I've watched the esteemed Steve and Jenny Woodruff at AutoBeYours/Scottsburg, IN replace the hybrid batteries in my two Priuses in past years. They do a wonderful job at a fair price. Both vehicles now have 75k miles on their Toyota-made replacement batteries.

Time has come for me to attempt a DIY hybrid battery self-installation on my daughter's 2010. I'd gladly have ABY do this installation but they're 100 miles away and I no longer own a truck to tow daughter's vehicle down there.

Anyone in this forum know the extent of the hardware that comes in a dealership-supplied new "traction motor battery pack"? Is it simply a collection of replacement cells, or is it cells plus the mounting frame and cover?

I see mention in this forum of corroded buss bars and fasteners at 150k miles. Should I advance order a set of new buss bars or attempt to clean up the original ones with a motorized wire brush? Any other recommended parts to pre-order to support this project?

And is it necessary to precharge the new hybrid battery to enable the vehicle to start? I can charge it in my office lab on a bench power supply but it would have to be outside the vehicle. Landlord frowns on cars in the elevator.

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you buy a new battery from Toyota for the Gen 2 or 3 You're getting a rack of cells in the silver case you see wen you take apart the try to access battery theyres new buss bars usually you're fan and battery computer is saved swapped over to new rack in case or similar 20 minutes to move over another 40 min or so to drop in space and replace all fasteners . I only keep like three fasteners in case to body area for quick removal.next time . My cars generally make a next time too . We've done this to two cars here on my property actually three 1 Gen2 2 gen3

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wen I installed my new batteries before closing case I opened busdbar plastic covers and used red CRC battery terminal spray and sprayed all buss connections . And I check them every 6 months to see if frosting is appearing . So far no

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes that's how my generation 2 came and I did not take pictures of the container me taking it out of the container and door putting the front end computer and ground strap on . It came with the new orange cables to go up to the front end where the computer resides and what not similar to this picture that you've posted I just didn't take photographs of it at the time

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It comes bolted to the metal pan with brand new bus bars and temp sensor harness and plastic covers over the bus bars. You just bolt on your electronic compartment of ECU, relays, etc. to the side of the pack and install. But make sure to open up the ECU to make sure there's no corrosion inside and if so clean it.

And if you haven't yet purchased the Toyota pack, consider upgrading with LiFePo4 via my affiliate link: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw I'll give you free unlimited tech support / walk your through the install.

These packs improve Prius performance by every measure and cost less than OEM. They also don't leak electrolyte at the terminals, which creates damaging corrosion like the Toyota's NiMH packs that also weigh twice as much.