1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchased Used 2010 Prius - is a 36,000 Toyota warranty worth it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cq1, Sep 9, 2012.

1. cq1

cq1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I purchased a used 2010 Prius today with about 45,000 miles on it. I do not have much experience purchasing cars, and while I am satisfied with the base price that I negotiated, I was not prepared for the business manager selling "extras" like warranties and GAP insurance. I have a few days to research and think it over before the deal is done. I'd love to hear opinions from other Prius owners about the 36,000 mile/3 year full coverage warranty. Is it worth it? The business manager claimed that the labor alone on a Prius costs $400+/hour at her dealership. I am not sure if I am throwing my $ out the window or not with the purchase of this warranty. Any advice on whether to keep or cancel this warranty is much appreciated.

What repairs have your 2010 Priuses needed? What is the cost?

Thanks.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What a bunch of BS. :ROFLMAO: Ferrari dealers don't charge that much. Based on that lie, I wouldn't do any further business with them.

Regarding the warranty, this is one of the (perhaps the) most discussed (and debated) topics on this and many car forums. Try a search--lots of info. FWIW, I'm not a fan of extended warranties--believe in self-insuring.

3. cq1

cq1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I've been reading around on other threads about warranties -- I haven't found any discussions of my exact situation (e.g., original 36K warranty expired), but I am leaning heavily towards cancelling. Also, calling around to dealership service departments on Monday to verify her claims. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any independent hybrid mechanics in my area (Seattle, WA).

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    cq1, the Toyota warranty can only be bought within the 1st 3 years & 36000 miles. The more the Finance Guy gets you to spend the more profit they make. Just say no.

My 2010 has needed a tire patch and the right rear shield in the wheel well was replaced because the tab broke. That was a warranty repair.

5. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP, If you do enough reading around here you will find that we don't say dealership... We say STEALERSHIP, and for good reason! Your post is a prime example why we call them, what we call them.

If you are the least mechanically inclined, you can get refurbished with a warranty and install it yourself for half the price if not more...

I had to replace an inverter. Stealership wanted around $2,600 installed with a 1yr warranty.

I looked around and found a Re-Involt refurbished inverter for $1450 shipped to my door AND it had an 18 month warranty!!!! My uncle and I replaced the inverter in roughly 7hrs or a little less. Bought the $30 bottle of coolant from the Stealership and was good to go.

A little over 5,000 miles later, it is still running like a champ, and I couldn't be happier.

Best of luck!

6. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah my advice is skip it. the finance manager tried to sell me the extra 100,000 mile/7 year warranty.. i told him no before he even got started... he still gave me the whole sales pitch and gave me a price of 2,240. i told him i was not interested at all at that price, he immediately dropped the price to 15,400. that shows you the profit they make on these things. i still didnt buy it, but he dropped 800 off of it without me even haggling him.

7. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just bought my 2010 at Fred Anderson Toyota 2 wks ago with 50k on it, got the GAP insurance and 125k warranty for another $20.00 a month, good deal I would say.