1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing Outside My Region

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by dnjacobson, Jan 18, 2006.

1. dnjacobson

dnjacobson New Member

Hello everyone. This will be my first post to Prius Chat although I have been following the topics for over two months now. I live in S. Florida (Miami to be exact)

I have finally made the firm decision to purchase a Prius. I know exactly what I am looking for, a Black #8 w/ either Tan or Gray interior (haven't made a firm decision on the interior color yet -- any opinion on this would be helpful).

Now to the heart of my question. After reading many posts on this forum and speaking with local dealers I know that the SE Region does not bring in any shipments of #8 optioned Prii. They do however install their port version of a leather interior which does not include the leather from the center console, steering wheel, and arm rests. This option "7L" as some posters have called it is priced higher than what the difference between a #7 and #8 would be from the factory. I realize that the dealer can trade with another region for one but they don't seem to want to do this in most cases (and I can't blame them) as its more trouble for them and in many cases the other region can sell their #8 just fine w/o having to trade it to another region. I feel that even if I were able to convince a dealer to do the trade though it would put me in a position where I would have to wait for the car for much longer that if I were to buy it from dealer inventory in another state.

I'm not interested in a more expensive fake #8 nor am I too fond of the tactics being employed by dealerships in the SE Region...such as Toyoguard (I know it can be ordered w/o and the dealer always agrees with me after I tell him so but the fact that they push it on unkowing customers as mandatory bothers me)...then there is the mark-up that some of these dealers are trying to pull on the Prius (one of them is doing $4000 over MSRP...insane...he says he is the highest volume seller though...I don't want to beleive that).

SO....

Can anyone tell me which states are members of the SE Region?

Are there any advantages to purchasing a Prius from another state in regards to wait time, sales/state taxes, sales price, etc? If so can you tell me where I should go to get a good deal within a reasonable time. I will fly wherever I have to to get it and then have a getting acquainted with my Prius drive all the way home.

Thanks.

2. km5er

km5er New Member

"The flagship of JM Family Enterprises, Southeast Toyota Distributors (SET) is the world's largest privately owned distributor of Toyota vehicles, as well as automotive parts and accessories.
    Industry leadership is evident by the company's bottom-line success: SET's five-state region - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina - consistently achieves top sales volume year after year.

Headquartered in Deerfield Beach, Florida, SET's major vehicle processing operations are located in Jacksonville, Florida, and Commerce, Georgia. Its innovative parts division is housed in Jacksonville."

Yes....this is why the SE region is so bad. A greedy billion dollar family. They run up the prices play games with the dealers and add junk at the port to increase their profit.

You should search outside the above areas and then will have a better chance of finding the car you want.

I just received a 2006 package 5 exactly as I ordered from Northshore Toyota in Covington Louisiana. I was so used to the crap that this region pulls that I was expecting it when I went to pick up my car. However this dealer did me a good job and played no games. Unlike many (most?) of the dealers in this area.

I bet there are some agreements between importers that prevents trading between regions. Make the contact yourself, spend a little on travel, pay your own state taxes and go outside this region for the package you want! Good Luck!

3. Clar

Clar Member

Just make sure the state you purchase from can register your car in Florida. I don't know if Florida still has the stupid law that forces people to pay FL sales tax again if they purchased car outside of Florida or not.

I got mine from a VA dealer that registered my car in MD and paid MD sales tax. I paid MSRP, which is about same as everyone else.

One way fly to DC shouldn't be too costly. JetBlue from Ft. L to IAD. Then 1000+ miles drive back should make your car past break-in period. heh heh.

4. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

I'm under the impression that you pay the sales tax once in the state it will be registered, no matter what. I considered buying in VA (I wanted a package 2, which SE doesn't have, either), but ultimately got mine in Florida, after the salesperson agreed to take Toyoguard off.

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<_< Southeast Toyota is a pain. There is an extra $635.00 fee just for the privilege of buying from them. Going north, Virginia is the first state that is not in SE Toyota territory. Why not make a vacation out of your purchase? Buy it wherever you can get what you want, when you want and at the price you want and have a wonderful trip moseying on home. If you’ll be passing by Myrtle Beach SC on your way back, I’ll fly to where you’re buying and ride back as far a Myrtle Beach. B)

6. jceh1

jceh1 Junior Member

Stay out of the Northeast. No package 8s here, and the wait time for a car is about 5-6 months.

7. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Also, No Package 8's Available in the Southeast Region

The SE Region does not import the 2006 Prius Package 8. If you want factory leather you MUST buy outside the SE Region. Your only alternative is to get Port Installed leather (for a higher cost than the Package 8 premium over Package 7) and do without the Leather Steering wheel and Leather side and center arm rests.

As mentioned above, guess who profits from Port Installed leather while SE consumers get screwed!

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are located in VA on the NC/VA border. I've had buyers from Pensacola, Niagara Falls ( 2 ), San Diego !!!, Atlanta, Colorado and Tenn come to us on word of mouth.

Package #8 is available in CAT but with a waiting list, see Diane's post elsewhere here. CAT adhere's to Toyota's 'suggestion' that dealers keep it at MSRP. If you purchase a vehicle in VA you get 30 day temp tags to drive home and you don't pay any tax in VA at all. Registration and taxes are the owner's responsibility, except in MD and NC, because of the proximity, where we do collect it as a courtesy.