1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by greenmymac, Jul 25, 2010.

1. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I currently have a 2010 Kia Forte EX and I'm really wanting to get a car that I know will last for a long time and Kia doesn't give me that thought! So I am purchasing a Prius, But I do have questions.

-I read that there is a couple batteries in the car, how do they get charged.

-Is driving a Prius different from a regular car?

-I have the Viper Alarm/Remote Start from Bestbuy on my Kia is this same thing available for the Prius?

-I know prius has been around for a while but is as dependable compared to other Toyotas?

-Any other things you know about the Prius or advice!

thanks

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My responses above in bold. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're planning to trade the 2010 you're likely to take a major hit in the pocket book ahead of the Prius purchase. Try selling it to an individual who only needs or wants a small car. Better still keep it a while, read alot on this forum, and plan for a 2012-2013 Prius EV.
    By then bugs will be worked out, your sell/trade $ hit will be reduced, you will understand the technology and be ready to purchase your dream car. By the way:welcome:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just curios, what were you thinking when you bought the kia :confused:.

5. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    um don't listen to this joker. There are no bugs in the 2010 model. All the bugs are from those guys who bought theirs in 2009.

go ahead and get your prius. Yes its a toyota. yes it reliable. yes it drives like a regular car. keep up on these forums for newbies and you'll get 50+ mpg easy.

6. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No joker here...my opinion...please note :
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...2-summary-problems-reported-prius-2010-a.html
    :eek:
    As for the 2009 owners ...I think there are a lot of positives to be said for the 2010 but the most accurate problem data I can find comparing 2009 and 2010 are found here :
    http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php

7. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    =)

i meant 2010 owners who bought their cars in 2009. Those are where you will find the most problems. If you buy a 2010 in say...2010, most of the problems have been worked out. Owned my car, and so far its great

8. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I traded in a 2010 Forte Ex back in November and you will take a beating as I did.

9. alexmac56

alexmac56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't take it to hard on your kia trade, they are knocking the heck out of Prius trades as well. almost 50% on 2008's with average mileage.Since 1/10 resale value has drooped 9% on prius alone

10. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL well I'm hoping when I purchase it, my Kia will be on NADA Used Values.

Don't get me wrong I like Kia. and my Forte is a nice car with all its features and it honestly doesn't look like your average kia.. But that being said its time to move on to reliability. Also my other moving factor was the toyota dealership my partner and I dealt with were amazing! Whereas the Kia dealership here is.. well trashy.

Does the new prius have the iPod support?

And what was I thinking when I bought the Kia? I do not know lol it was a nice car and I wanted it.

11. Colonel Ronson

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    all trims have the aux input jack. There is a factory ipod kit as well for $300 that goes through your glovebox that everyone hates, and navigation packages include a usb port that you can use.

12. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I purchased my 2010 Prius II!!! I pick it up wednesday, I am super excited.. It's "Blizzard Pearl" and I am having the windows tinted to darkest legal for my state and I am having the iPod Interface Kit installed.. I can't wait to drive it... Is there any advice you guys have?

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pay attention to the road and your fellow drivers at first, do not try to learn all the dashboard information until you can find the controls second nature (or are parked)

14. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok.. So it will take getting used to? I guess ill be in my driveway for a few learning everything.. Does it drive any different?

15. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, you will get it! Just enjoy, as it is one heck of a auto. H

16. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok I have had the Prius for 2 days.....I am absolutely freakin happy. It rides smooth, road noise is better than my Kia, accelerates way better than expected, love the touching of the door handle to unlock...

2 quick questions:

I am having the iPod Interface Kit installed monday-- in the prius ll how do I control the ipod? like where do I enable it to listen to it. (Currently I hit AUX to listen to it via the AUX port)

and

How do I change it to when I touch the door handle all the doors unlock?

Also funny thing I went to the trashy Kia dealership to cancel my GAP and the guys was like "what did you trade your kia in for" I replied 2010 Prius and he gets this look on his face and says in a jealous annoyed school girl way "oh a prius, well ook" LOL It cracks me up and his reply was well you know you Kia got 40 MPG, i debunked that quickly by saying "really according to the sticker on the window its 23/31! It just shows there true colors, where as the Toyota dealership I purchased from have called me 3 times since purchase to make sure I liked it, had any questions, or just anything I needed in general!!