1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purolator still considered not so great?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was some discussion about Purolator filters having declined quite awhile back.

Time for an oil change, and while I can get other brands, Purolator is the easiest to secure where I travel. With a little effort and a detour off my normal routes, I can get Wix or Napa or Carquest, but again, if Purolator has straightened up, it's the easy purchase for me.

I would buy a Toyota filter if I needed to go to dealership for another reason, but just for a filter, it's too much hassle.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get toyota online.

3. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought purolator was supposed to be good. They used to make AC Delco filters, which are now made by Wix, also Napa and Carquest are made by Wix. I would use the purolator and cut it open after the oil change. If the filter media inside has not collapsed after one oil cycle than it is the way to go.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O.K.: Instead of working this afternoon (hmmm), I spent some time going through old PC posts and found what my feeble brain must of had stored away. And, it was not that long ago. In this post from last winter, it seems that Purolator was being dinged, so I suppose nothing has changed in the past several months.

I will go ahead with the Napa Gold for $6 and change (although my cheapo self is tempted by the Napa Silver for $4). I like Napa well enough, but it always seems like I get behind two people who need numerous special order parts and it takes some 20 minutes to get in and out.

Better than the dealership, though, if I can buy an oil filter and be in and out in 45 minutes, that is a special day.

Purolator oil filters -- can anyone give the 30-second scoop on the brand | PriusChat

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't know why its such a big deal to go to the dealer? Just buy 3 filters at the same time. There the best bet and cheaper than the crap your buying now.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    45 minutes to buy an oil filter? where you going, the dmv?:p

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did alot of research today and found that the Denso filters are some of the worst you can buy, bare minimum filtration at best however better than none. The purolators still seem to be among the best of the widely available filters, and the new boss filter looks like the best on the market out of what is commonly available at auto parts stores.

The wix filters are not recommended at all, slightly better than factory filters yet the inside is all cheap cardboard glued together, without a solid cap at the end of the filter.

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am with above...order 3 OEM filters from a Toyota dealer on line.

9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy genuine Toyota via Amazon, along with crush washers and oil ($95 case). I usually order on Wednesday for Friday delivery with Prime.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Show me your research please. Link please.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How far are you from a Toyota dealership?

I don't even think about it, every 6 months, pick up the oil (Toyota), filter and drain bolt washer at a Toyota parts department. Try to do it when we're driving by anyway.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  12. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    What?? Nobody claiming Fram is garbage and the worst filter ever made? I've used them for years and never had a problem.

What I would find interesting, would be an impartial study (not funded by a manufacturer) that could show the results for the name brand filters. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen.

In the meantime, I think the suggestion to use a toyota brand filter is as good as any and possibly better than many. But who do you suppose makes their filters?

13. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota dealers here are not located well for me. So, Toyota is a no-go -- and as said, it takes forever for parts service at the one dealership I have used.

Mailorder and my rottweiler do not mix.

Found this interesting web page, which compares Toyota to Wix -- on a Toyota dealer site:

Oil Filter Comparison - Tundra OEM Filter vs Fram vs Wix

So, off to Napa for a Napa Gold.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Conclusion is the Toyota filter is the best value.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but near impossible to come by in seattle.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Amazon and Amazon Prime still deliver to Seattle. In fact, rumor has it that Seattle is their HQ.

edthefox5, m.wynn and bisco like this.
  17. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't save any links but its all over the internet for all to google.

Fram is garbage and I've seen it many many times. I worked in a garage for years and I didn't see problems with any other filters like I did with fram. One filter literally had to be shredded to shrapnel in order to be removed. While fram filters work because some filtration is better than none, as a company they are nothing more than a marketing sham promoting a vastly inferior product. Even their upgraded filters do not rate well. The only good thing is the sure grip coating, which I admit is a nice feature, but has nothing to do with the performance of the product as intended.

You can find plenty of people online who have bought a variety of filters and have done various experiments and dissection. I haven't read one yet that said you should use fram. They mostly say the opposite, which has been my professional experience as well.

The Toyota brand filter is made by denso in thailand. It rates very poorly for filtration, however it is designed for toyota specifically so there is at least one advantage here. I had a dealer oil change done recently, so I'm interested to see what the filter looks like inside after removal.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, without anti indy lab testing to prove otherwise, i'd rather use the filter spec'ed by the company who has to cover the warranty claims.

#18 bisco, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    edthefox5 likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah but the single Seattle dealership is atop Mt Baker.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and amazon hasn't begun the rotweiler safe drone deliveries yet.

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.