1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purple Battery on Startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jleven22, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm new to the Prius world and wondering if I have a reason to be concerned. Lately, my car has been starting up and staying on 1-2 purple bars on the battery for the first few minutes of driving. Then it appears to 'charge up' into the blue region, sometimes peaking at green.

But in those first few minutes the car sounds like it's working harder to drive. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Also, some background -- had the battery replaced with a refurb (the original died) about 3 months ago. Had the brake actuator replaced as well, thanks to warranty that ends in Dec 17 (just in time!). Not sure if these have anything to do with it, but I was concerned about the battery replacement and whether or not this is a battery related issue.

Thanks!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More than likely you traded your HV battery for another that was probably not much better. The only HV battery that is worthwhile these days is a genuine new one from Toyota. You just need to shop around the dealers and get the best price.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Refurbs can only do well if they are meticulously built.. Takes time and testing and retesting and picking matched cells.... This is barely worth the effort to do it right so many vendors are tempted to cut corners.

Consider warranty offered and don't expect much life beyond that and your ok.

Going new is worth the peace of mind & warranty.

Once upon a time the price difference between refurbished and new was so great it was worth considering. But now new is competitive and worth seriously considering.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Agreed that's a sign you have a weak HV battery. Time to check on the warranty for that rebuilt pack.

5. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ugh, the bummer part is it's an '06 Prius. Not going to have much luck with any sort of warranty I suppose.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Did you purchase the refurb pack? Most have some sort of warranty; the minimum is typically 90 days but some of the more expensive options are out to 3 years. Yes, the Toyota warranty is long gone.

7. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aftermarket at a local dealer. They said lifetime warranty on it, but I'd be very annoyed if I have to take it in again. It's been 3 months!

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Car doesn't matter, the refurb battery should have some sort of warranty, if not, that explains a lot!

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We've seen reports here of folks have 2-3 returns on these refurbs. You're not alone.

10. Jleven22

Jleven22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well that makes me feel better, but still not pumped. Thanks for the advice everyone!

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Obviously you'll need to wait for the car to throw a code/trouble light and verify.

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I see you are in florida as am I... where did you find this life time warrantee and who is supplying the batteries?

13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    turn off your AC when starting off, don't move the car until the gas motor shuts off.. odds are the battery is low when parked and the AC draw is bringing it down even more.. also don't set the ac all the way down, try 75 to 77 Im in florida as well a good temp , the AC runs off the battery not the motor as in a normal car. the more you run the ac the faster the battery drains and the more the gas motor runs.

WilDavis likes this.
  14. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think this may be a bit of overreaction from some of the posters. It tends to be a little too gloom and doomy around here.

My car regularly starts the day in the purple. It has for years. It's fine.

While I do agree that it is not a GOOD sign that your car is doing this, it doesn't mean your battery is going to fail tomorrow and all hope is lost.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No one said it would (hence wait for the codes to pop) but you do realize he's already on his second (used) battery don't you? That he's going from purple up to green just driving around is a sign of a weak pack. BTDT

You, OTOH, are having a great run considering its an 05 in AZ. (y)

johnnyb588 likes this.
  16. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think my luck may be running out, unfortunately. I am replacing the water pump in my 07 today, the brake actuators went bad in both (one of them before the warranty replacement, and I was too lazy to write into Toyota to see if they would refund me, the other I pre-emptively replaced before the code because when the first one went out, it took a miracle for me to avoid an accident because the brakes just completely disappeared right when I needed them at a sudden stop. wasn't going to risk that again when the second actuator started showing the symptoms). A few other things here and there, plus both original batteries approaching the dreaded 200k mark, and I am thinking it may be time for a couple of upgrades.

I see you had a Volt. They are dirt cheap around here on the used market. Is there a good reason for that? Or did you like yours?

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah I like mine but after purchase I had a lifestyle change and just needed more cabin room for up to 5 passengers; hence the CMax. I would give the Volt a big thumbs up for AZ drivers as it uses liquid cooling for the battery pack and will even run the cooling system while charging. They are having really, really good battery longevity reports. Generally speaking, most PHEV's have low resell because, I think, the general public is scared of them (the unknown).

18. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Humidity causes corrosion on the battery bus bars, voltage sense harness and Battery ECU(orange plug).
    If the corrosion is bad enough in the B ECU connector, it will affect the voltage readings and not charge the
    HV battery properly. At some point it will just throw replace HV battery and stay in limp mode. If it gets really
    bad, the B ECU connector shorts out (no current limiting on the sense wires) and can cause a fire. Just dealt
    with this corrosion on my 05.....Messing with the HV battery, be careful. Lots of youtube vids on how to
    disassemble HV pack.

S 13-AMP pic b.JPG S 13-AMP pic a.JPG I'm looking for the part number for the AMP pins used in the orange plug (V sense harness)
    that plugs into the B ECU. If anyone knows the AMP/Tyco number (not toyota!) give a shout, thanks.

SFO likes this.
  19. jseyal

jseyal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  20. jseyal

jseyal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You were able to keep at it for years like that? Did you ever ask the dealership what they recommended and what was the outcome? thanks.