1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purpose of these parts? (BELT ANCHOR REINFORCEMENT SUB-ASSEMBLY NOS. 2 & 3)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by johnnyoclock, May 3, 2024.

1. johnnyoclock

johnnyoclock New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    20240501_141243.jpg 20240501_141255.jpg

I came across these two, relatively heavy metal parts after removing the center storage/armrest console between the two front seats to increase space and make moving from the front to the back easier (working on a camping/dwelling build). As far as I could tell, the Toyota repair manual only mentions them when they need to be removed in order to remove/install the parking brake. If possible, I'd like to remove them both and just put some plywood or something over the parking brake cable. Would this have any adverse effects?

First picture is how they are normally arranged, with the bolts for the top part removed. Second picture has the top part removed, but the bottom one is still bolted to the floor.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well you're looking at them I'm not so they are sub-assemblies that the plastics bolt to now you're going to put wood there pure sounds good so the plastic will be gone and they'll just be a piece of wood there with whatever Yes it will rearrange the whole car but that's your intent Will it make it any weaker or lesser probably not this is sitting on what would have been a transmission tunnel but it's not it's just some sheet metal You can probably do anything you want how will it look have no idea or care apparently you don't either The end game here is to live in the car. Most people in reality are trying to get out of the car when they get where they're going kind of a different scenario of use of the vehicle That's all I don't think anything's going to happen Do you see anything under these sub assemblies I thought there might be some black boxes you know relays something I haven't pulled a generation 3 or whatever this far apart That's generally most people are hoping never to have to do this not delving into making it a necessity as long as you're not hacking up any wiring and having to relocate a bunch of relays alarm boxes etc Man have at it That's American ingenuity at work maybe just try not to destroy the electrics and things that you might need for the car to well keep working. But other than that no I don't think structurally you're going to destroy the car I don't see that being reality remember older cars you should just have a hole there where a shifter or a parking brake would sit bolted to sheet metal that people pulled up on for years and years setting parking brake shoes now you're going to make it for a space for ease of egress to the back seat or for your mattress to lay flat or something so shouldn't make any difference.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They do seem to be lined up pretty much right between the driver's and passenger's seat belt anchors, and they look heavy enough they might have a noticeable effect on how the floor pan sheet metal in that area performs in a collision.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Makes sense that it is designed to be modular. They only need to use that in countries that demand extra safety, while they can save expense on ones delivered to other markets.

All from the same floor pan stamping. Pretty smart.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The real challenge to center arm wrest / console delete is the flying buttress. in gen2 Prius the center armrest / console isn't connected to front dash. If you want to restore the safety element you could probably design some metal bars to bolt in place, which is better than plywood.

For my Gen2, I just use a pillow with a pillowcase that matches the upholstery.

It's long been my dream to do something like this to a Gen3:
    f9ddae59540e507f284c441ad803a992.jpg