1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Push Button Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pjo180, Jun 20, 2011.

?
  1. Yes, I think that I would Like All Push-Button Drive.

66.7%
  2. No, don't think I would like it.

6.7%
  3. I Prefer the Present Joy Stick & Park Button set-up.

26.7%
  4. I Prefer the Old Fashion Single Stalk Control.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pjo180

pjo180 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I much prefer the sophisticated Electronic Transmission Control on my Gen 2, over the more conventional Stalk that was on my Gen1. The Old Fashion Stalk had a way of being in the way of other controls.

I can't help but wonder if Toyota may have produced a prototype Prius, (at least on paper), with a row of Push Buttons, instead of the Park Button & Joy Stick combination. I would think about buying one in a minuet if they did! It would be much more logical. The Buttons could even be put to the left of the steering wheel, so that the Driver Only could access them. That's the way Chrysler did it back in the day with their Mechanical Buttons.

Since all the functions of the Prius Joy Stick are electrical switches, I wonder if anyone has actually made such an alteration to their Prius, converting it to all Buttons? Tesla is the only car that I know of being made today that has Push Button Drive Controls. Hey, if you're going to "borrow" an idea, you can't do much better than Tesla!

While essentially the same as Gen 2, I don't like the location of the drive controls on Gen. 3. The Joy Stick & Park Button seem less Coordinated with each other. The Joy Stick seems to eat up a lot of "Real-estate" too. I can reach the Joy Stick to put the car in Drive, without removing my right hand from the wheel on my Gen 2. Not sure that is possible on Gen 3.

I have discovered, (by forgetting to press Park), that my '08 automatically goes into Park if I just press the Power Button to shut the car down. That is a great feature, as it prevents the car from rolling if the driver forgets to hit Park.

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the jdm. also, a vertical stalk on the dash is cool too. like the old corvair.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love the button idea, and wish the OGS was compatible with Gen II.

5. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that IPS switch is badass!

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What they (OGS) need to make is an electronic shifter with button locations that reflect the position of the original shifter for each drive mode. Also there's so much unused space. They could easily integrate a miniature ON-OFF slide switch for the power mode so that you have the ability to put the drive mode into PWR automatically every time you power up.

R
    ____ Brand
    N __- Logo

D- PWR- B