1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Put 2 more deposits today - experiences

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by thockin, Apr 20, 2004.

1. thockin

thockin New Member

So my story is this: a few weeks back, my old car got stolen. I shopped around, decided on a Prius. I put my first deposit at Toyota San Francisco ($500, nice folks, 3-4 month wait).

Based on reading here, I put two more deposits today.

The first was at City Toyota in Daly City. They told me 1-3 months. $500 deposit. Nice enough.

The second was at Toyota of Berkeley. They wanted a $1000 deposit, and they are claiming SEVEN month wait. They said that all orders are for '05 cars and that the manager asked that deposits be non-refundable.

Now, it is my understanding that this is not legal in California, and I told them that, which the salesman said he also understood. I went ahead and placed the order with them, anyway.

Now we'll see what happens. Did I make a mistake?

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I personally had a very bad experience with Victor from City Toyota. Over email he said he would give a price and delivery time that was amazing. He ended his email with "I guarantee it". This was way before they were even out. When I went in to put down a deposit, he flat out refused to offer the price he gave in email. First he tried to hint that I had to pay more if I wanted it delivered when he said it would be in the email. When I called him on his backing away, he actually said that whatever he wrote was just to get me in there and he didn't intend to honor it.

Others have had okay experiences at City Toyota but I'd stay away from Victor and definitely not trust anything he says.

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I personally wouldn't do business with any dealer requiring a deposit. They aren't exposing themselves to any risk if you back out since there's a line of people behind you who would buy it in a heartbeat. The deposit requirement is determined by the dealer and not by Toyota.

Since you're in the Bay Area, I strongly recommend Concord Toyota, where I bought mine. The demand isn't as great out this way, or at least in February the list wasn't as long. Their Internet fleet team is great, no BS, and easy to deal with. They charge MSRP with no markup. I told them I didn't care about the color and I went from #67 to #1 just like that. I had my car in three days after I ordered it. Sure, it was just dumb luck, but the fleet manager made some calls, did some swaps, and ended up with an available car. I got the Driftwood, which I personally don't mind at all, #9 package was the only hard requirement.

I can't believe a dealer would try to tell you your deposit is non-refundable. Seven months of holding on to your $1000 is ridiculous. I know you want the car badly, but you're not exactly in a negotiating position any more....

4. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I personally wouldn't do business with any dealer requiring a deposit. They aren't exposing themselves to any risk if you back out since there's a line of people behind you who would buy it in a heartbeat. The deposit requirement is determined by the dealer and not by Toyota.

Since you're in the Bay Area, I strongly recommend Concord Toyota, where I bought mine. The demand isn't as great out this way, or at least in February the list wasn't as long. Their Internet fleet team is great, no BS, and easy to deal with. They charge MSRP with no markup. I told them I didn't care about the color and I went from #67 to #1 just like that. I had my car in three days after I ordered it. Sure, it was just dumb luck, but the fleet manager made some calls, did some swaps, and ended up with an available car. I got the Driftwood, which I personally don't mind at all, #9 package was the only hard requirement.

I can't believe a dealer would try to tell you your deposit is non-refundable. Seven months of holding on to your $1000 is ridiculous. I know you want the car badly, but you're not exactly in a negotiating position any more....

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member