1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

put front license plate on/how to install front license plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by benk33, Jul 18, 2015.

1. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I had a couple questions about installing the front license plate. I currently do not have any holes drilled in the front bumper (though I can see the places where they are supposed to go). I have the black plastic attachment. What is the best way to drill those holes? Can it be done if I don't have a drill (i.e., just with a screwdriver and force)? Is this something the dealer might do for free (I don't have a warranty, bought my car used)?

Thanks!
    Ben

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have the front license plate bracket, then all you need to do is drill the 2 holes. I'm sure the dealer can help you with this if you ask

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    hold the bracket on the front of the car and make sure it lines up right with the holes. use an ice pick and punch it into the bumper where the screws go. since its just plastic, there's no need to drill-- the sheet metal screws you should use will twist right into the punched holes with a screw driver. you need to push hard sometimes to get the screw to thread all the way in. use stainless steel screws from Fastenal or a good hardware store if your bracket doesn't come with screws.

if your dealer doesn't suck, they have a power screw driver somewhere in the showroom that they can use to put it on if you can't diy.

6. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exactly what he said^. No need to drill anything.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ You could tho, using a smallish diameter bit, the same or maybe slightly smaller than the "minor" diameter of the screw. This'll tend to leave a more uniform hole, stress the surrounding paint less, if you ever need to patch it.

Capture.JPG

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forget about the front plate, you are lucky for not having drilled holes:)

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lots of states, Texas being one, require a front and rear plate. California is another.

Ignoring the possible couple of hundred dollar violation fine, it also gives enforcement officials probable cause to stop and then harass you about any number of items.

I was stopped TWICE in a couple of days of driving around Santa Cruz, Calif. a few years ago for not having a front plate. It was a rental car, so neither officer issued an infraction notice, but both hassled me about other things.

10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't always add the front plates, unless it actually looks better with it, on my cars in California and have never been stopped.