1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Put in 4 gallons and still flashing pip and Add Fuel Message

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Nov 20, 2008.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I pulled into a gas station just as last pip starting blinking and "Add Fuel" message display on the MFD. I put in 2 gallons at first and the single pip still blinked. Went around the block came back and put in another 2 Gallons. I now should have 4 gallons + the supposed reserve that is stated in the manual when the warning pip begins to blink. I don't believe that there was 3 gallons reserve prior to filling with my additional 4 gallons but one must assume there was some fuel at that point. The outside temperature was 35 degrees. So at this point I'd assume that there must be my 4 gallons plus a minimum of 1 gallon reserve. Why the heck am I still seeing 1 pip blinking and getting the Add Fuel mesage with 5 gallons in my tank ? If you believe the manual, I'd have to had negative 1 gallons in my tank since adding 4 still triggers the warnings which are supposed to occur at 3 or less gallons ???

I also read that there are 2 warning messages - Add Fuel and Add Fuel Soon as posted previously. Is that true ? Add Fuel Soon seems to indicate more urgency - if so, how many gallons remaining triggers that message. All the manual says is that the blinking pip means 3 gallons or less remaining - I couldn't find anything about the MFD messages telling you to Add Fuel or Add Fuel Soon.

Now I know what you're thinking - why didn't I just fill it up instead of putting in 2 gallons and another 2 ? Well, I was on 1 solid pip and it was late at night. I thought I could let it go till next morning but when it started blinking I had only one station in proximity to get gas. It was a sunoco. This particular station has been the cause of my poorer than expected gas mileage. When I switched to a shell station (a bit further from my house), my mileage came back to where it should be. I've repeatedly noticed this problem from this sunoco gas but it took me 3 fillups to figure it out. So when I needed gas and the sunoco was the only game in town I figured let me just put 2 gallons in and get gas elsewhere. I then put another 2 in to satisfy the Add Fuel Message and flashing pip nag.

Any one have any ideas ?

2. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Since you didnt fill it up, it probably had trouble gauging how much gas you had in the tank. Although it does seem odd that it didnt update even a little.

Though I recall reading a (long) while back that you need to at least put in 4 gallons (at one time) for it to register with the car? I cannot remember where I read that, maybe in the user manual or somewhere on this site.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, normal. Gotta put in over 3 gallons on any individual fill-up (ie. before you start and shut down again) to get the fuel guage to reset. Just part of the design to accomodate the hysteresis of the bladder size.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my very limited experience I believe the gauge would have reset after 1 or 2 starts. It can also take a minute or so to show full when filling up.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also I've experienced the same thing after having disconnecting the aux battery. It showed a flashing pip until I'd turned off and restarted at least once.

Dave M.