1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

putting in a sub this weekend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by eagle33199, Mar 10, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, this weekend looks like it'll be the time for my first mod to the new car. While i'm waiting on my EV switch, shark fin, and for VAIS to go '06 compatible, i'm going to build a fiberglass stealth box for the passenger side trunk and outfit it with a Alpine Type-E SWE-1042 10" 4-ohm sub. The compartment just barely meets the minimum requirements for the sub.

Here are the expenditures so far:
    $90 - Sub
    $110 - Amp
    $100 - Glassing supplies

Still to buy:
    Wiring supplies

For the sub, crutchfield rocks. cheaper than anything i could get locally.
    For the Amp, Anderson's General store rocks. It's a small local chain, that tries to sell everything. in somethings, like home and garden they rip you off, but in other things, like car audio, they really don't know what they have! Direct from the manufacture it's $188, and at other stores around here it's as high as $250!
    For the Glassing supplies, it would have been cheaper if i had done glassing on my own before. part of the $100 is for a $30 filter mask, which i'll probably keep and use for the next 5+ years.

The wiring supplies won't be too expensive, i just need to figure out where i'm going to wire it too so i can get proper length wire. i would say they'll cost under 50 bucks.

I'll be taking tons of pictures of the entire process and i'll work up a writeup/tutorial on it and post a pdf of it here until i get my web server back up and running (looking at a may/june timeframe for that).

Just one question. for those of you who have done this sort of thing in the prius, where did you hook your amp up for power? I need to work out the power requirements, but i'd like to avoid having to run it too far.

2. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I'll be looking foward to your writeup. This is one mod that is on my list. I usually do all my own installation, but I have very limited fiberglass experience.

Ken

3. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have too much experience either. The only real experience i have is helping out on a carbon fiber bike made at school as part of a contest. Didn't do much, but i learned a lot, and the process is pretty much the same with the two materials.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have my amp installed on a board inside the storage bin. The battery is pretty much right there so I didn't need to use that much 4 guage cabling. I ran the all the wires under the board and on either side of the bin are holes to feed the wires to the front and back. Here's a shot of the amp installed:

[Broken External Image]:http://intdata.homeip.net/albums/dansprius/IMG_2638.sized.jpg

It's been setup in a way that I can easily lift the board up and unplug the thinner wires (speakers, remote) from their bullet connectors. The 4 guage power and ground wires are easily disconnected by disconnecting the fuse holders. This allows for easy removal of the amp rack so i can get access to the spare tire in emergencies. Here's a shot of the board lifted up:

[Broken External Image]:http://intdata.homeip.net/albums/dansprius/IMG_2642.sized.jpg

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

The important thing to remember about fibreglass is that it's really messy. A lot of the time will be spent prepping the area to be fibreglassed and making sure every place around the area is covered up. When you think it's covered up enough, cover it some more. It also really stinks, so do it in a nicely ventilated area.

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    definately messy. the fumes aren't just smelly, they can cause lung damage as well. for that reason, you need to use a filtered mask (not just a particle mask).

And yes, it can be messy if you aren't extremely careful. But to be on the safe side, you always want to completely cover the entire area. One of the nice things about it, though, is that you can take it out after one layer to finish layering it. That helps to reduce the risk of ruining your carpet.

*edit*
    i hadn't realized the 12V battery was in the back. Here i would have been out there looking under the hood for an hour before going to the user manual!

thanks!

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Andersons??? Im in Bowling Green, so im guessing you're nearby... It is a small world afterall... my best friend works at the coffee shop in the Andersons in Maumee...

8. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Part 1: finished

I cut a piece of 1/4'' MDF to fit in the rear hidden compartment and mounted the amp to that. i've hooked the amp into the battery system, and ran the wires out for the speaker.

Part 2: Finished

I taped up the back of my Prius and applied the first layer of fiberglass. That dried, i removed it from the prius, and cleaned up the sourounding plastic i layed down to catch any spills. no damage to the carpeting!

Part 3: In progress

I'm waiting for the next layer to dry on the fiberglass hull i now have. I'll probably end up with 3-5 layers overall for a nice, sturdy box.

Part 4: Not started

I haven't run the wires up to the front yet to plug in the amp.

Part 5: Not started

I haven't cut a piece of MDF yet for the front of the box to hold the speaker. When i do, this piece will be attached to the box with more fiberglass (fiberglass bonds well to wood)

Does anyone have any specs (or know where i can find them) for the JBL amp that sits under the front seat? (for the Nav w/ JBL sound upgrade package)