1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Putting regular wheels/tires on a Touring ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pola, May 11, 2007.

1. pola

pola New Member

If the suspension is better on the Touring, and you want the responsiveness of a Touring without the bumpy ride, can regular wheels/tires be put on a Touring ? (Or how about getting a non-Touring but adding the Touring suspension ?)

Does the Touring simply have a 'tighter' supension ?
    Is that the only difference ?
    What makes it a better suspension ?

P.S. we are going to buy a Prius, which is why I am asking questions again.

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 11 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]440342[/snapback]</div>
    You can certainly put stock Prius wheels on a Touring edition. In fact, depending on the quality of roads (defined by the presence or absence of potholes) in you area, an argument could be made for putting on tires with a higher/taller (as in 185/65-15 of the stock tire) profile, which will help minimize pothole-induced wheel and tire damage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 11 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]440342[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt that the cost of adding the tuned suspension components from the Touring edition to the standard Prius would be cost-effective. If that is your concern, you might as well purchase a Touring edition.

Suspension "tightness" is generally a function of spring rate, stabilizer bar tension and to a limited degree shock absorber valve settings. The Touring edition has a "tuned" suspension, where the shock absorbers and springs are "tuned" for each other. Within that context, what does "tuned" mean? The shock absorbers on the Touring edition have a firmer valving and presumably, the springs have a numerically higher spring rate, which combined gives an improved cornering ability vs. a non-Touring edition Prius. But lets not kid ourselves, the "tuned" suspension of the Touring edition is not going to make the car corner like a MINI. To get to that level of performance, much more needs to be done to the suspension of the Prius.

Hope this helps in your decision process. One thing you might consider - if you have a lot of crosswinds or 18 wheel semis buffeting you on the freeway, the Prius seems to be challenged by these two situations. I know from personal experience that wider tires (205 as opposed to 185 or 195 mm width) does stop the susceptibility to road wander when buffeted by crosswinds.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

If you buy a Touring but decide you want to put the standard 15" wheels/tires on it, please contact me. I'd be glad to work out a swap. I'd like to put the 16" wheels on my Prius.

4. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 12 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]440664[/snapback]</div>

I think we'll go with the Non Touring, thanks !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 12 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]440651[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for writing.... very helpful !!!
    I think we'll go with the Non-Touring package 3... to save money, mainly. thanks again !