1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PV Inverter Recall

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, Feb 12, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hey there fellow PV user folks. Our UTILITY company just mailed notice that our SunPower inverters may be on recall. Long story short, SOME SunPower inverters were made by a parent company, and come to find out, OUR inverters were made by SMA ... so we we're safe, and not actually on the recall list. (maybe THAT's why our contractor and/or the manufacturer never sent us notice)

The bad boy inverterss in question were actually manufactured by XANTREX . . . . which makes inverters for several of the main inverter companies (GE, SunPower, etc.). You may want to check to see if your inverter is at risk . . . even if you THINK your inverter is made by the name on your inverter label. Here's a link where you can check . . . just in case:

http://runonsun.com/~runons5/blogs/media/blogs/a/Recall%20Notice%20-%20one%20page.pdf

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Dave7

Dave7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Inverter doors blowing off is not a good thing, glad they are getting recalled. Just one injury could result in hundreds of people hearing about it and deciding not to go solar. Just a small circuit board replacement, at least they don't have to remove the inverter.

4. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent a lot of time (like months) researching various solar array configurations for our home several years back and even then Xantrex wasn't getting the greatest reviews due to quality. If it were me, I wouldn't have gotten a Xantrex in the first place, but if I had, I would want a completely different brand of replacement.

On a related note, there are MANY and a seemingly increasing number of electronic/electromechanical issues across various different machines and electronic items that I have dealt with over the last decade or so that all seem to end up firmly in mainland China's lap upon discovery.