1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pyxis Leader (East Coast Bound)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Cebu, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pyxis Leader is a large cargo ship with about 5,000 cars bound for
    the East Coast. It's first stop is Jacksonville Florida and from there it will deliver
    cars to Newark, NJ.
    My guess is this ship will have most of the Prius' for June on it.
    Currently the vessel is moving through the Panama Canal.
    Currently you can see it here.
    Pyxis Leader - Cargo Ship - Callsign: H9ML - vesseltracker.com
    So for everyone who is waiting this is the second ship for the East Coast and
    it should be in Jacksonville Florida 5 days or so after clearing the Panama canal.

9 people like this.
  2. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Steve, Do you remember how long it took the Kentucky Highway to get to Newark after it docked in Jacksonville? ( I have to start some kind of count-down):D:D

3. tc7

tc7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging from the dates of posts from the Kentucky Highway thread...

It looks like it only took 2 days to get to Newark from Jacksonville. It took about 6 days to clear the panama canal, get to Jacksonville, and unload cars. So 8 days from now. The estimated eta of June 11 seems about right.

3 people like this.
  4. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I forget how long exactly but I think it made the trip in 3 days from Florida to Newark. The Kentucky Highway was stuck outside the panama Canal for a couple of days as well. The Pyxis Leader is moving right through it.
    Also keep in mind that this is a slower vessel and it's a lot bigger. Plus Vessel Tracker is notoriously behind the ships actual time compared to AIS/Marine Traffic. I saw Vessel Tracker showing the Kentucky Highway going into the mouth of the harbor long after it had docked in Newark. Once Pyxis Leader leaves Panama it won't show up on Vessel tracker for a long time but it will pop up on AIS more often. I think it will take a lot longer this time because it's a huge ship and to unload it will take longer.
    Since it cruises at a slower speed it could also take longer.
    Here are the details on the Pyxis Leader.

Cruise and Cargo Ships: Pyxis Leader car carrier

Pyxis Leader is one car carrier built by Toyohashi Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. The Pyxis Leader is designed to carry 5,427 units based on the standard car (6,405 units based on RT43L), trucks, complete knock down (CKD) kits and containers. This is the second of the series of car carriers being built continuously at the shipyard at Toyohashi. The vessel has twelve car decks with garage deck including two liftable decks. Car holds above the freeboard deck have two fire compartments. The main engine is a low-speed, long-stroke diesel engine Kobe Diesel-Mitsubishi 8UEC60LSn.The high performance propeller saves fuel oil consumption.
    The vessel has a length of 199.94 meters, beam of 32.6 meters and draft of 10.30 meters, while the ship is fully loaded. The draught of the vessel is 34.8 meters and the free board is pretty large, like all car carriers. The main engine of the vessel is Kobe Diesel-Mitsubishi SUECeOLSH with full power of 15,540 kW (21,129ps) at 104 rpm. The maximum speed of the vessel is 20 knots.

2 people like this.
  5. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL! Steve, that sounds like a riff on a beer commercial - Moves Slow! More cars!

6. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D
    I just hope they are faster at getting the cars from the port to the dealerships.

7. credgar

credgar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SET's website says many new cars will be available at their dealerships on or around the 17th. I would wager that these cars are coming from the Pyxis Leader.

8. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I guess I will keep a eye on this post in case my New Baby Was Not On The Kentucky Highway! Here we go again.

9. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If my car is not on this ship then it ain't on no ship!!!!! :(
    Who picks the names of these ships? They sound stranger then the names they give race horses!:D

10. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a Panamanian Ship built in Japan.....
    I wonder if Pyxis is pronounce Pixie? :confused:

11. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh Boy! here we go again! I have no nails left to chew on. I've pulled almost all my hair out. Yikes. I'm just gonna sit back this time and relax...maybe go out and wash the ol' clunker, sit back and have a cocktail.... :pop2::pop2:

(This ship better be carrying my new car!!)

12. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Well this vessel will probably have the bulk of the 2010's on it.
    So yours should be on it. :)

13. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seems reasonable. Mr. Dealer estimated delivery "sometime in July". By the time the ship clears the Canal, and lolly-gags up the coast, then the port boys shuffle 'em up and deal 'em out it will probably be July. There are several folks ahead of me on The List - but I'm guessing that as there are more vehicles around people will wander off the list or they will wait for the impending plug-in or opt for an Insight. Good ridance to them!! It means I move up the list! :D

Any word on your baby??

14. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I feel confident that you will get a car out of the Pyxis Leader. It should have the bulk of new orders on it. Also it's almost all the way through the canal! So figure another week to ten days and it should be in Newark, then about 10 days from the Port to the dealerships. So it should make it for early July no problem.

My car is in F status so that means as of monday they have 72 hours to pick up the car, assuming after that 2-4 days to deliver it and that means I should have the car Monday or Tuesday.
    At least that's what seems logical based on what Toyota normally does. So hopefully........

15. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a hard time believing that your gonna RELAX! :rolleyes: I know I won't, but sitting back and having a cocktail sounds nice.:D As far what's on this ship, I'm sure our cars are on the Pyxis.:cheer2:

16. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately since actual orders through the region don't necessarily align with customer orders it could be that there will still be a lot of people not necessarily getting "their" car in. There possibly could be plenty of unsold ones hitting the lot that don't match up with orders.

17. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a very valid point.
    But if there are cars out there then people can test drive them and at least decide if they want a IV instead of a V.
    For me it's easy, the II has no added options soit's simpler, just throw the floormats in the trunk and they are done.
    That's why I'm hoping mine will arrive soon.

18. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it's Toyota's strategy to send dealers cars that aren't the ones requested, figuring customers will be buying cars loaded with options not ordered.(only kidding):D:D Well it just might work. I'm getting close to taking anything that even comes close to what I ordered.:rolleyes:

19. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually I think you will find the reverse.
    There will be more cars with less options. So you might find a IV or V with very few options. it seems that fully loaded cars are in high demand. So I guess the trick will be to see how many gadgets you can live without. :D

20. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pyxis Leader is now through the Panama Canal and is headed for the East Coast!! :D