1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Q’s about Calif. HOV sticker revocation and battery life?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Scottmandue, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Scottmandue

Scottmandue New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at buying a used Prius with a HOV sticker so I can cut my commute by 30 minutes each day.

However now I hear rumors that Calif. may take away the right for a single person to ride in HOV lane even with the sticker. Can someone enlighten me to as if this is true or not?

I have a very reliable little Hyundai and if I can't use the HOV lane with the Prius there is no reason to change cars right now. (However the wife’s car is on its last legs so I could give her the Hyundai and I could drive the Prius. ;) )

Also as I am looking at used cars and I hear the largest expense is maintaining the battery, what is the life expectancy of the battery?

Thanks in advance

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The CA warranty is 120 months/150,000 miles, and they are proving highly reliable. Taxis have driven 300,000 miles on the original battery. Worry more about replacing the transmission in a Hyundai than replacing the big ("traction") battery in a Prius.

If you buy used, either get a certified one from a dealer, or, if a private party, pay a dealer's tech to thoroughly check it out.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Scott I do not live in CA so I may have it garbled. Jan 1, 2011 the legislation enabling car pool stickers for hybrids will expire. No plan to extend the current cars is in the legislature. (Proposed but not passed incentives for electric, CNG, fuel cell, and hydrogen cars as well as hybrids with over 65 combined MPG are being floated, but no current hybrid would be eligible)

About 1 in 40,000 batteries are replaced in the first 100,000 miles, under warranty. Taxis with 300,000 miles are common, but no one ever turns off the taxis, so that may not mirror normal owner lifetimes.