1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Q: Mounting the Enginer Kit

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by cproaudio, Jan 4, 2011.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I having hard time figuring out how the nuts and bolts the Enginer kit came with work. The pictures on the mounting template don't make sense. Didn't Enginer redesigned the mounting method so what you can unmount the kit to gain access to the spare tire? Can someone explain it quick? I need to get it installed by Tuesday night.

One more question. Where do I connect the green wire and the brown wire from the switch to? The install manual states
    7. Hook up ECU Ignition Ready signal to on/off switch panel.
    Reference: X387000000801LD (for 2010 Prius)
    SMRG (L5-2) – Yellow: Ignition Ready (Connect to the Green wire of PHEV switch panel)
    E01 (L5-5) – White-Red: Ground (Connect to the Brown wire of PHEV switch panel)
    White wire shall not be connected for 2010+ Prius which is what I have.

The ECU is behind the glove box but when I to took the glove box out, there are quite a few control modules. Which one is the right control module (color and position helps a lot) Which harness on the ECU? and what pin position? Thanks.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi cproaudio,
    This is the wrong place to be asking this question.

Go to the Enginer forum and register. Then request user status. This discussion belongs in the User section of that forum.

Here on Prius chat you will get responses from all kinds of people. You may also get responses from people that do not own or understand the Enginer system and then you will not know who to believe.

Also the people with the most experience will not put information from their expertise onto an open forum like this. You will not get a response from Jack on this forum.

There is a thread in the Enginer user forum that addresses this.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cproaudio,

Where are you located? I have a 2010 Prius with 8kWh Enginer install. I would like to see if I can check out the new kits and maybe help with your install. I install my kit myself also.

-Chan

4. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I post here because there are more traffic here. People who read anything about Enginer are either have one themselves or are interested in one.

Those who have one themselves have either done the install themselves or have someone installed it for them. Either way they know something about the kit and could have easily answered my questions. Enginer owners are likely installed it themselves because it's more of a DIY kit than other any other kits like PICC or Hymotion.

Those who don't have them are researching for as much information as possible. The ready wire doesn't just strictly pertain to PHEV. It can also be used as a power source for bypassing the nav lock. The only time you need to bypass nav lock is when you're driving. Ready mode is the only time you need to bypass the nav lock.

Sure I can goto the Enginer forum but for what? they have maybe 1 or 2 posts a day. I've found many questions that never got answered and the thread just died. Yeah, Jack doesn't come to Prius chat but you do and so does other Enginer owners and they post everyday.

The time it takes for you post a respond could have easily spent informing me and everyone who are interested in Enginer kit instead of directing me to a forum that Jack himself doesn't respond everyday. Yes, I called 877-886-8897 and they want me to leave a message. I needed this information yesterday.

This used to be a good place to read about Enginer. Now anytime anyone ask about Enginer gets the usual answer, goto Enginer forum.

banshee, I've tried to arrange to meet and share ideas with you many many times in the past months but you just blew me off.

5. mgm_az

mgm_az New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cproaudio,

I don't blame you one bit. It seems that Enginer works hard to control all info about their product and company. IMHO, this doesn't really work in the consumer's favor and certainly doesn't make one feel very comfortable using their web site forum.

I see the experience as akin to buying used CDs from a sketchy guy on the street corner - its a great bargain but you're really not entirely sure what you're going to get and you don't want to ask too many questions or make trouble lest the deal go sour or some legal issues surface.

Surely it is difficult to make one box fit multiple vehicles and model years. Also it is clear that the kit is evolving and improving much faster than the installation instructions are updated.

I never really figured out how the mounting is supposed to align and settled for 2 or 3 bolts on each side of the case which would reasonably fit within the constraints of the frame/welds/tailpipe/etc. The threaded insert things should screw in snugly such that you can unscrew the mounting bolts but leave the inserts in place. Choose your drill size carefully. Don't trust the instructions. Double and triple check. Don't rush. Perhaps this is why the components were delivered weeks apart.

Wish I could help you with the 2010 Prius wiring, but I've got a 2005. The wiring photos for the 2005 were just adequate. IIRC, all the info really was there if you zoomed in and studied them carefully along with the instructions. Have to admit to also using the "EV hack" documentation floating around the net as a supplement (had previously installed the EV hack). Checking the signals with a multimeter is not a bad idea either. Remember this is DIY, thousands and thousands of dollars cheaper than anything else.

Good Luck !

6. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All the wirings are ran and done, including the traction battery wires. I use my multimeter and found the ready wire. I figured out how the self riveting insert works. I ran out of time installing the main box. When I return from CES, I'll post some pictures.

7. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cpraudio,

Sorry about the last time you were in LA. Last I remember you were in town during Alt car expo. Unfortunately I was in San Diego for a Wedding that weekend. If you are in the LA area, I would be more than willing to help. I am free after the CES show also for all weekends in January. Even if you needed some reference or pictures. Just PM me.

-Chan