1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Q3 1949 Parker "51"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you know and understand vintage fountain pens, you know what a Parker "51" is. If you don't, here's a little write-up on it:
    I enjoy writing with fountain pens. Every once and a while, a new, flashy pen will catch my eye, but for the most part, I most enjoy using pens with some age. I have a few old Esterbrook J-series, a few Parker 45s, some old Sheaffers, and a couple random odds and ends. They are cartridge, converted, aeromatic, and dip.

Over the weekend, I visited an antique mall that I frequent just in case some new pens had been rotated in. While walking around, I saw a bag sitting on a counter with a sticker, "Bag of pens and cartridges $3.00". I figured that a couple pens for $3 would be nice to have and use on a daily basis without having to worry about damaging or losing something more expensive. So I gave it a closer look.

It looked like it was probably something given away at an estate sale. Probably someone's old pens that the seller didn't know what to do with. Most were cheap pens - not bad pens, just inexpensive day-to-day pens. However, I noticed that one of the pes had more heft than the others. Popping the lid off, I saw the indistinguishable hooded nib of the "51." My heart skipped a beat. I had only ever seen a "51" in real life once previously. I unscrewed the barrel to take a look at the innards: they were in near-mint condition. I simply couldn't believe it. With the assistance of a nearby display case light, I was able to locate the date stamp: "9." indicating the 3rd quarter of 1949. Oh sure, I lingered for a little while but it wasn't long before I paid my $3.15 (tax) and off I went just as giddy as can be.

My coworkers find it interesting that I drive one of the most technologically advanced cars in the industry, work for a technology engineering company, and write almost exclusively with old fountain pens. But there are a few there who I know will swoon when I tell this story and produce the pen. Likewise, I'm sure there's some on this board who will appreciate my weekend's adventure. It's not as grand as those people on "Antiques Roadshow," but a Q3 1949 "51" in excellent condition could probably easily sell for $150.