1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quality Tint in LA?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by zonker, Mar 10, 2006.

1. zonker

zonker New Member

I'm looking for a quality tint shop in the greater Los Angeles area. Anyone have any good experiences?

2. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I had Formula One Pinnacle installed on my Prius. It wasn't cheap but I wanted a ceramic based tint. They do have cheaper tints to pick from. Give Joe at Sundimmer in Van Nuys a call, 818.780.8181. Tell him you were referred from Prius Chat, he has already worked on a few cars of PC members.

Ken

3. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

If you are willing to travel to Orange County, contact Armen at Lamborghini of Orange County. They are located right off I55 in the Santa Ana area. You will be completely satisfied.

4. Erick

Erick Member

There is a place by the corner of Motor and Venice (on Venice) that did my car and a few friends Prius'. They did a great job and I think it was like $150 or so for all the windows. I think it's called Tint Connection....

5. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

I will have to second Sundimmers. Great customer service.

6. kinged

kinged New Member

I am thinking of getting my prius tinted also.

What is allowed legally? Do you tint the top windows or the buttom one at the back?

Any suggestions? I do have the navigation system and I heard that one should not use metal tint.

7. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I second this question. I'd like to do the same, but I had always heard that it was illegal to tint some or all of your windows (I don't recall which) in CA. Does anyone know the truth?

8. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

Here is the California law regarding window tinting:

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
    HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
    Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
    Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
    Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
    Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
    Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
    Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
    Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
    Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

9. Tori

Tori Junior Member

Those guys are close enough for me to consider.
    Which windows did you have done?
    If they did the lower rear window, did you go with the same tint as the upper or did you try to get them to match in total tint? How long did it take?
    Have you had problems before with metallic tint? So many of the installers on tintdude forums say they don't see gps and cell phone problems with their metallic tint applications (even though they offer ceramics).

If you don't mind, could you please tell me how much they charged (possibly by PM if you don't want to post)?

Thanks

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Picture Perfect Detailing
    2060 E 28th St
    Signal Hill, CA 90755
    562-988-1777

I can't say enough good things about them, I had my tint done in mid-February, about a week or so after I bought my car.

$170, including all the 'small' windows in the front and rear corners of the car. Only thing I didn't have tinted was the windshield. 20% tint on all the rear windows, 30% on the front driver's and passenger's side windows. The tint job comes with a lifetime warrantee against bubbling, peeling, warping, etc. Took about 2 hours, but they are nearby a center where there's a coffee shop, Home Depot, and a load of other stores/shops. Intersection of Cherry Ave/28th. I brought a book, my portable dvd player, and a couple magazines and the wait flew by. I found them via another tint-related thread here on PC.

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/pri5.jpg

11. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I had everything done except the windshield. The same tint was used on all windows. I had read where some people have used different darkness but I didn't. When I look at the car you can tell the windows are tinted but you can see inside, exactly what I was after. I wasn't after anything real dark, just uv and heat rejection. I drive the 405 north from LAX to home everyday. I get the sun coming in the drivers window. Without the tint I would have to move the visor over right away. With the tint most of the time I don't even bother. At night I hardly even notice the tint is there, a bit yes but very very minor. So far the tint has been perfect for me.

I don't know the warranty of the other tints but Formula has a nationwide lifetime warranty. This is my first car with tint so I don't have any experience with metallic based tints but I did read many post of people having some issues with cell phones. So I just decided to go ahead and get a ceramic based tint, more expensive yes but I shouldn't have any issues.

Again I can't say enough good things about Joe. He was very nice, answered all my questions, and was very concerned that the job was done correctly. I also had him install a clear bra while he had the car. Actually the clear bra was the main reason I went to him, the tint was an after thought.

Ken

12. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Boy I go to answer the question and Jennifer beats me to the punch. You have to be quick around here :)

I think the main point here is to used a shop that has good referrals and has been around for awhile.

Ken